Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

1430 SR

The thoughts of Rufus the cat.

It is well known that cats can see into the spirit world. It is not so well known that every living creature has an inner light, an aura which glows around them. Only certain Men and Hobbits are receptive enough to see this, but all cats (and Elves) can do so. Perhaps this means we are of Elvish origin? It is partly for this reason that in some places, such as Rhun and Harad, Men still fear us. At times we, and our carers, have been persecuted. My Master often wonders aloud if Queen Beruthiel was as bad as she is made out to be, and I daresay he is right to wonder. Perhaps she was just a lonely woman who found joy in the company of her cats, who asked nothing more than her affection, without conditions. I certainly dispute the story that her cats were evil.

       Perhaps I should introduce myself. I am Rufus, known to everyone in Hobbiton and Bywater as 'the Bag End cat.' I came to live here about four years ago, shortly after the death of my father, who was Bag End cat for nearly eighteen years. I was the last of his offspring, and when I came here I was four months old. He knew that I would be chosen - my mother lived with the Widow Rumble - and father came to New Row nearly every day, to educate me as much as he could when he knew his time was short. He told me of the Ring and the journey of Frodo and Samwise, and how much Frodo Baggins suffered for it still. He was devoted to Frodo and that devotion was returned, so much so that when my father went at last to his long home, he breathed his last cradled in the arms of his Master. He lies buried in the gardens, beneath a small stone marker with his name - Pickle 1409 - 1426 SR

       As my name implies, I am red and white - at least my Master calls it red, although to most people it is ginger or marmalade.Neither taste very nice, at least to a cat, but with hobbits everything relates to food. When my father had been properly buried, the family realised that the smial was very empty without a cat in it, so my Master made his way to New Row, frail though he was, and asked the widow if she would part with me. She would not have given me to anyone else, but she knew I would have the best home in the Shire, and consented happily to my departure. I still call in to see her and my mother.

       My father told me that the wicked Men who came to the Shire had no light around them. Their aura was a sludgy brown, muddy and unclear. This suggests a lack of spiritual awareness to say the least, and probably true evil. Fortunately most cats kept away from them, although dogs and smaller animals were not so lucky, and suffered torment at their hands. My father stayed in Buckland while the Master was away, living with the Brandy Hall cats in comfort and safety. My longfather, the first Bag End cat, was a Brandy Hall kitten, so my father saw the home of his ancestors.

       Most hobbits have a warm orange aura, like the setting sun. This denotes an affinity with living things and is enhanced by their natural jollity. The only one I have seen who does not possess it is the miller who left the Shire when Master Samwise became the Mayor. His aura is brown and faint and I do not trust him. They say he beats his wife and little ones and I cannot say I am surprised.

      Elves are full of a soft silvery light like the stars. It is very comforting and draws all living things. I know not what sort of light most Dwarves have, but the one who visits Bag End has a warm light with a little blue tinge - a sign that he is becoming more aware of his surroundings and Nature. He appreciates trees and flowers more now because he spends so much time with the Elf from the Greewood. This is a good thing.

       My family - everyone who lives at Bag End - is remarkable in many ways. Mistress Rose, wife to Samwise, is kind and practical and a very good cook. I keep her company in the kitchen when she is preparing food, and a variety of titbits come my way. She has a lovely pink light, and it grows brighter and deeper each time she carries a new life inside her. She has love in abundance to give to everyone who needs it, and her warmth is the heart of this home.

       The children have their own inner lights. The one called Ellie has a light like the early morning summer sunbeams, the lad who looks most like his father has a similar golden glow, and the little lass named for her mother has a gentle pink light which reminds me of the pale pink roses in the gardens. Even the two smallest ones have their own aura, innocent and glowing with joy and love. They are gentle with me and often share their food. Why, only this morning little Merry sat with me under the table and offered me his dish of porridge. I have heard that diseases can be spread by sharing plates in this way, but he looks clean enough and I am sure I will not catch anything.

       Master Samwise has a very bright light, warm and golden and dazzling as the sun. My father told me that the Quest to destroy the Enemy's ring was only completed because Sam was there to help the Master. He rescued him from a tower full of those dreadful orc creatures and carried him on his back when his own strength gave out. He helped to save the Shire and healed the hurts it had received, restoring it to its full beauty. Sam loves his wife and children and he also loves my Master as much as I do. He would do anything for Frodo and is no longer the simple gardener he was before the journey. His name really does not apply now he is Mayor of the Shire and receives letters from the King It seems His Majesty agrees, for he calls him 'Perhael who should be called Panthael' - Halfwise who should be called Fullwise. I like the sound of this King and hope to meet him one day. The family went to Gondor last year but I was left behind, which did not please me. A cat may look at a King and I could have travelled with them. Perhaps King Elessar will travel north and visit us.

       My Master, Frodo Baggins, has the brightest light of all. Cats do not normally acknowledge a Master but mine saved the world and is my Master because I choose. Samwise says the same thing, although he rarely calls him Mister or Master Frodo now they are as close as brothers. My Master has an inner light which blazes forth so strongly I am surprised everyone in the Shire cannot see it. It is the light at the heart of a star, white and brilliant and pure, not seen in mortals before or since. It is the light of those who dwell in the Uttermost West.

       It was thought that Frodo Baggins would depart this world and sail with the Elves, but he decided at the last to remain, though it would mean his death. I had not been at Bag End long when he became ill, and for weeks his life was despaired of. I lay on the bed, trying to warm his cold body and bring him some comfort, and it seemed that he was less agitated when I was there. A miracle was granted to us, and he recovered from his illness, and from the long melancholy which had afflicted him since the Quest. Now he takes part in the life of the Shire and plays with the children and grows stronger, and as he strengthens so does his light. He is a rare one - tender-hearted, compassionate to all life (I kill my prey quickly because he does not like to see them tormented), reluctant to judge, slow to strike, quick to comfort and heal. I do not need to open my eyes or turn my head to know where he is, for his light calls to me clearly, a beacon of love and duty, demanding no less in return.

       Now you know a little about my family. It is my duty to keep an eye on them, catch mice and rats and anything else which might prove a threat to them, play with the children, sit on laps and charm those who need cheering. It is a very responsible position, being the Bag End cat. I must leave you, for Mistress Rose is about to prepare lunch and if I sit still and quiet I am rewarded with a plate of meat. I have a good life and pity my fellow cats who are shunned and abused for their mystery. Please remember, it is not through evil means that we are able to see in both worlds, for we are but as Iluvatar made us.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List