Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

When Winter Fell  by Lindelea

Chapter 24. From the Journal of Fortinbras Took, S.R. 1158

O Journal. If only there were someone with whom I could share my wonder. But you are all I have. You will have to do.

Journal, do you know that beyond our high, green hills there are hills yet higher, majestic mountains so lofty that their heads are crowned with snow even in the height of summer? O my Journal, there is more! Beyond our high, green hills, to the West is a restless Sea, so great that you cannot see from one end to the other. Imagine it!

Far away to the south are mountains that smoke and spit fire, lighting the night with their unrest. To the north are mountains fiery for another reason, for they harbour dragons, fabled beasts that are not mere fable, but truth!

There are forests greater than our Woody End, and a river broader than our Brandywine. To the North are to be found ice and snow that never melt, and to the South are lands of heat and sand that never knew snow, or even rain!

How I long to set my eyes on such sights!

Uncle Bandobras might understand, perhaps, for he followed his desire, to leave home and family behind. But he only went as far as the North Farthing. Father said I might visit him, some day, though it is a long way away and will take some planning for the journey.

A long way away! How I wish...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List