Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

When Winter Fell  by Lindelea

Chapter 18. From the Journal of Fortinbras Took, S.R. 1158


Snow! Snow! And not even the first of October!

Awakened this morning to shouts of excitement in the corridors.

Fanny made me put on a jumper, and I couldn’t get away before she’d half-stifled me with windings of a muffler, but at last I was able to run through the corridors with the other young Tooks, to the door, to the yard and out into the wonder.

Fully ankle-deep of white and fluffy stuff, and more falling from the skies!

How glorious the snowball fights, I can tell you. Why, we don’t often have snow in the Shire, and never in September, at least not that I’ve heard of, from the oldest gaffer, not even from Grandfa!

We made snow-hobbits and snow-castles and the lasses even made snow-smials for their dolls, and still the stuff was coming down... and our elders let us play in the stuff, for more than likely it’ll all be gone by the nooning, melted away and remaining only in memory.

It was a great pandemonium, there in the yard, and even the das and mums got into the spirit as if the years had fallen away and they were heedless tweens once more!

And we all went into the great room, after a magnificent lark, with rosy cheeks and bright eyes and high spirits, laughing and talking and gobbling our food as if we were starving.

And Da declared today a holiday, and it not even highday, and we shall go out in the snow again to play while it lasts... No haying this day! No apple picking! Just joy!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List