Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Hobbit Tales  by PIppinfan1988

Originally written for Marigold's Talechallenge 48.  My “element”, if you will, is a song that Pearl Took gave me. She was rather easy on me, lol. I’m easily inspired by music, and this one was great. I’ve put the link to the song at the end if you wish to hear it.

I am posting this story (late, and) by request, by the person to whom this story was dedicated: Pearl Took. Back in mid-January I figured everybody was sick of Yule stories, so I was going to be cheesy and post it later this year. Here’s to you, Pearl!

Disclaimer: All Hobbits and Middle-earth belong to JRR Tolkien, but in my dreams they belong to me. Only an idiot would pay me for one of my stories, and no, I wouldn’t take it; I do this out of pure enjoyment.

Summary: It’s their first Yule officially as Took and Thain and the Mistress of Great Smials. They knew they’d be busy, but they weren’t quite prepared for what they got.

Betas Extraordinaire: I’d love to say they were Llinos and Marigold, but RL has a way of reminding us of what’s truly important. Be gentle, lol, because this is my first "challenge" endeavour without them. A special Thank You to Marigold and Llinos for all of their patience and tutoring in the past; hopefully their labour will show a little bit in this tale.

The Last Dance

Great Smials, Yuletide, 1434, S.R.

T’was early morning of Yule 1, and throughout the Thain’s apartment, not a noise could be heard. Until...

Groaning, Pippin turned over in bed pulling the thick eiderdown over his head in order to shut out the noise; however that didn’t seem to work. The knocking upon the bedroom door continued along with the chirping of children’s voices beyond it.

“It’s too early, go back to bed!” he mumbled from beneath the covers. Pippin moaned at his own ineffectiveness; knowing well that his voice barely carried above the blankets, let alone to the diminutive intruders outside in the hallway.

Beside him, Diamond shifted her position in bed to face her husband. “They won’t go away until they know we’re awake,” she said in a hoarse voice. “Besides, if we don’t do something quick they might wake their baby sister; the nursery is right next to our bedroom.”

Pippin felt Diamond slip out of their bed then listened to her soft footfalls as she went over to the door. He heard her give quiet instructions to the children to fetch their grandmother, Uncle Merry, Aunt Estella and cousins, and then to wait for her and their father in the parlour. After that, Pippin next felt the mattress depress beside him along with a chill draft, telling him that Diamond was back once again under the warm covers.

“Please...just a few more minutes,” Pippin whined into his pillow.

He and Diamond had stayed awake far into the night putting together the final touches of a doll's house for Bonny, a toy barn for Faramir complete with small wooden animals, and then filled three very large decorative sacks tacked to the mantelpiece in the parlour for their three young children. Blossom, the youngest at age one, would be easy to please with a set of nesting blocks, as she wasn’t quite refined in the “art” of Yule gifts yet.

“It’s half past six, love,” said Diamond, combing his bed-head curls with her fingers. Pippin remained prone underneath the thick blankets. “It’s Yule 1, you know. We have a very long day ahead of us.”

Pippin didn’t budge.

The young Mistress of Great Smials shook her head and sighed. She knew rising this morning would be difficult for her husband, and it wouldn’t necessarily be due to their staying up late. This Yule would be the first without Paladin Took, having passed away in late Halimath at the ripe old age of 101.

If it weren’t for the fact that so many folks were counting on a festive day hosted by the Took and Thain, Diamond would have caved in to his plea, but today of all days, she dare not; there was far too much to be done. Merry and his family had made the trip this year to be with them this Yule along with many other dear friends and family, and she knew Pippin would be beside himself if he failed them in any way today. Diamond decided Pippin would need a little help rising for the day.

Inside the bedroom, the fire in the hearth had burnt away into embers long since the couple had gone to bed some hours ago. Diamond reached over to the night table to turn up the lamp, then promptly jerked the eiderdown away from Pippin. She grinned; he reacted just how she knew he would.

Pippin gasped when the cool air met his nightshirt and the exposed skin of his legs. He quickly sat up in bed beside his wife then snatched back his half of the warm comforter to cover up with.

“All right!” he said, though only slightly irritated; Pippin knew he ought to be getting out of bed and soon. “I’m awake -- just give me a moment to gather myself,” he said, rubbing his face with his hands in an attempt to wake himself further. “I shall need a very strong pot of coffee.”

Diamond let Pippin sit for a few seconds before taking his hand in her own, bringing it to her lips to tenderly kiss it. “How are you feeling?”

Pippin drew up his knees just enough to lay his free arm across them and rest his chin in thought. Pippin could never hide his emotions from Diamond; her keen sense of perception is one of her many good qualities that drew his heart to hers.

“I miss him,” he said in a whisper. He then turned his head to face his wife, his eyes glistening with tears in the golden lamplight. “I always will. Thirty years from now I shall still miss him; he was my father.”

“Last Yule he danced with my mother under the mistletoe,” said Pippin, smiling wistfully at the image in his mind’s eye. “He kissed her and said that she was as beautiful as the day they were married. I don’t think he realised that I had overheard him.”

Diamond gently squeezed his hand in response. “I think he did.”

A few moments passed while they sat in reflection of distant and recent memories of the dear old hobbit. At length, Pippin broke the silence, this time giving his wife‘s hand a warm squeeze.

“Happy birthday,” he said, then leaned in to kiss her gently on the lips.

Diamond smiled. “Thank you -- so far it is very happy.”

Suddenly, she leapt from the bed to tip-toe over the cold floor to her wardrobe. She pulled out a drawer, took a small box from it, and then ran back to her warm bed and husband. She snuggled up to Pippin, presenting him her birthday gift.

“Is it that enormous pipe we saw in the smoke shop the other day?”

Diamond rolled her eyes in amusement. “Pippin, I believe the box is just a little too small, don’t you think? Open it!”

Pippin had to laugh at Diamond’s insistence. He loved to tease her with taking his time with opening her gifts. Nothing, however could have prepared him for the sweet surprise he received.

“Diamond!” he gasped.

“Yes,” she said, “It’s right there behind your dad’s birthstone.”

“No,” Pippin chuckled at her misunderstanding, “I meant...anyway -- look! This was my father’s pocket chain!”

Pippin held aloft a small silver chain with clasps at either end used to attach pocket watches to their owners weskits. Pippin instantly recognised the pale blue gem flecked with red dots dangling near the main clasp that would attach to the pocket watch, but there was also a small diamond that dangled behind the bloodstone.

“Yes, it was your dad‘s,” Diamond confessed. “Your Mum gave it to me to present to you on my birthday. I took it to the jeweller in town to add your birthstone to the chain. Mum wants it to become an heirloom.”

“And it shall,” said Pippin, still mesmerised by the beautiful jewellery. “It’s lovely! Thank you, Diamond.” He carefully laid the chain aside on the night table, tenderly kissing Diamond in the process. “So, what does the byrding-lass have planned for the day?”

Diamond sighed melodramatically as if a weight of care were upon her shoulders, then she smiled. “To spend Yule morning with her dear family until about...” she narrowed her eyes in recollection, “9 o’clock, when the Ladies of Great Smials meets for tea. It’s Yule tradition, you know!” Diamond giggled, mimicking the last part in Cousin Saffron’s haughty (and exaggerated) Tookland lilt. “Then precisely at ten, I must speak with the kitchen staff to ensure the food for the Yule Feast is going as planned and that nothing is amiss -- also to give out my birthday gifts. After that, I take refuge here in our apartment with our children until luncheon, after which Mum and I will proceed to the Great Hall to oversee the decorating.”

Pippin raised his eyebrows and chortled. “I can imagine what the Great Hall will look like after our children have a go at decorating! They will do their best to please you and Mother, but in the end, unfortunately, they might prove to be a hindrance.”

Diamond lightly nudged her beloved. “That’s all taken care of, love. Pearl and her daughters have asked to spend time with our young brood this afternoon, which will help me immensely. Pearl is wonderful with children and will keep them busy for hours. Her taking the children will give me the opportunity to help keep Mum’s mind occupied with happier things, and Auntie Esmeralda’s being here will help, too.” Pippin nodded his agreement.

“So,” Diamond concluded, “all of that will keep me busy until it is time to bathe and dress the children for the feast.”

Pippin got a mischievous gleam in his eyes. “What about you?”

Diamond grinned likewise. “As it is my birthday, I thought it very appropriate to bathe and wear my birthday suit.” She paused for effect at the shockingly amused look on Pippin’s face. She laughed, “Of course I am going to do the same for myself, silly lad! You still wish for me to wait for you here at the apartment? You have a busy day as well.”

“Oh, I do!” replied Pippin. “And, yes, please wait for me here. ’Tis fitting for the Thain and his Mistress to arrive at the Hall and be announced together.

“But...as for my schedule, after spending early Yule morn with my dearest family,” he continued, “I have a treasury meeting with the core Took family heads of Great Smials in my office to discuss last year‘s spending as well as spending for the coming year. Once that is finished, we all will then gather in the Lesser Hall for the annual Took Moot with all members of the Took Clan who wish to discuss family business. So, that will keep me engaged the rest of the morning. However, once that is finished, I do plan to return here to take luncheon and spend time with our family and our guests.”

Feeling more awake, Pippin dragged himself out of bed to put on his dressing gown. As he tied the sash, he continued, “Then after lunch, Reggie and I will go off on the hunt for the perfect mistletoe to decorate the Great Hall. Wouldn’t want to bring bad luck on us all and not have any mistletoe!”

“Absolutely not!” said Diamond, still smiling at her beloved. She, too, rose from the bed, slipped into her pale yellow dressing gown then headed for the washstand.

“I do hope that Merry will come with us,” said Pippin. Having washed his face and hands, he reached for a face towel to dry with, offering another to Diamond when she reached for one. “Anyway, once we have completed our utmost important mission, we shall return to Great Smials to get ready for the Yule Feast.” Pippin lovingly looked on while Diamond brushed her long hair and tied it with a bright green ribbon.

“Now, Mrs. Took, would you care to join me in the parlour to watch our family unwrap their gifts?”

* * * * * * * *

Ten minutes past 9 o’clock...

Diamond walked hurriedly down the main tunnel, hastily smoothing out the wrinkles in her red frock and matching jumper then reached behind her head to tuck away the wispy ends of her hair underneath the lowest fold in her pinned up tresses. Diamond always tried to look her best, although this morning the baby had other ideas. At the age of one, Blossom still experienced separation anxiety whenever her Mama stepped out of the apartment. Fortunately, Estella was close by and aided her friend, however, in spite of the needed assistance, Diamond was left a bit rumpled.

The Mistress of Great Smials had her own private chamber used for charity teas, guild meetings, and the like. It was located next door to the Took and Thain’s office, so hearing the low volume of male voices behind the thick wooden door was nothing new to her. Diamond left her chamber door open with the thought that the servant would arrive in a short time with their tea. Breathlessly, Diamond sat down in her own designated chair set within the tea circle.

“Diamond, love,” Saffron cooed from her chair. “We had hoped to begin the meeting promptly, as we all have a full schedule on Yule 1.” Saffron was quite arrogant, thus, very few of her own kin truly liked her. Even her marriage had to be arranged by her parents, as no lad would have her...not without a price.

“I do apologise, ladies,” Diamond chattered on, “Blossom had a fit when she saw her Mummy leaving, and among everything else, Faramir was upset over Bonny using one of his toy farm animals for her Doll’s house and I had to...”

Diamond briefly went silent when she met the cold, indifferent stare of Saffron.

Without missing a beat, Diamond turned away from Saffron, to face her close friend and confidante, Laurel Took (Everard’s wife) sitting in the chair beside her. Laurel had five children, so Diamond knew that she would appreciate her circumstances.

Diamond continued, “And so I had to intervene before each child took justice into their own hands! Thank goodness Mum was there to divert their attention and I could leave.”

Laurel shared a genuine smile with Diamond; she wasn‘t very fond of Saffron, either. “I‘ll wager not five minutes later they were once again jolly.”

With the attendees recorded and the meeting finally in progress, the business of choosing families in need of charity for the coming year was interrupted when Saffron complained about the noise in the hallway. Diamond didn’t feel the noise was at an intolerable level, however, she knew that until she addressed the situation, Saffron wouldn’t be happy. Saffron could always find a reason to complain about anything. Diamond figured it was her way of gaining attention. Nonetheless, to appease her, Diamond volunteered to close the door.

As she brought the door to a close Diamond thought that the voices did sound much clearer now. Peeking into the hallway, she spied three gentle-hobbits standing just outside of the Thain’s office debating an issue at a low volume amongst themselves. Two of the hobbits had their backs to her, but she immediately saw Pippin; he stood with his face in her direction while speaking with two other cousins who stood before him. Why the three were talking out there and not in the office, Diamond could only surmise that there had been some dissention among the ranks in the Treasury meeting.

Diamond stood at the doorway to her chamber, the door open just a crack -- just enough for one brown eye to peep through. Pippin had stopped speaking and was now listening as the other hobbits carried on the dialogue. Suddenly Pippin caught her eye; he smiled and winked at her. Diamond smiled back, her heart filled with love for her beloved. She lingered, letting the sparkle of his green eyes penetrate her heart, her very soul.

Why did so many meetings have to take place on the most festive day of the year? Yuletide was the one season of the year that Tooks, distant and near, returned to their ancestral home to be with family.

Diamond could tell by Pippins eyes, his facial expression, that he was quite uninterested with the issue at hand and would much rather spend his morning with her, and in truth, she would much rather be with him. And why not? They had been able to steal away in Yules past. However, time alone was not to be this year. There was far too much to be done.

The two cousins once again engaged Pippin, his gaze broke and was drawn back into their conversation.

Diamond slowly closed the door.

* * * * * * * * *

Pippin trudged beside Reggie in the long passage leading to the main tunnel. They had just left the apartment of Gertrude Took, an elderly lady known to most as “Aunt Gertie”. Senility was setting in which attributed to her forgetting to replace the protective screen around the hearth to keep the crackling, burning wood behind the grate. The mat caught fire which spread to her favourite chair and nearby furniture situated near the hearth. Fortunately, the family next door heard the commotion, rang the alarm, then went to Gertie’s rescue. The fire was contained, though the chair and mat were destroyed. And this wasn’t the first time such a thing had happened.

Pippin borrowed Reggie’s handkerchief to wipe away the soot on his face. “Aunt Gertie is lucky that nobody was injured this time. She needs someone to look after her.”

“Who?” Reggie asked. He, too, had soot streaks all over his face. “She’s an old spinster, Pippin. She has no children, she’s all that’s left of her family.” Reggie sighed; something did have to be done and soon or else Aunt Gertie would injure herself, or worse. “Perhaps I can speak with Jewel and take in Aunt Gertie for a while, but I don’t know for how long.”

Pippin handed the blackened handkerchief to his cousin, saying, “You needn’t worry on that, I don’t think she has long.”

Reggie looked at his watch as they continued to traverse the hall. “We have just enough time to stop at my apartment and wash off the remaining grime and have a bit of lunch before riding out to hunt the mistletoe we spotted in that oak tree the other day.”

Pippin stopped in his tracks. “What is the time?”

“Half past one,” replied Reggie.

In frustration, Pippin put a hand to his face to rub the stress out of his forehead and in the process rubbed black smudges all over his face again. Reggie smirked but said nothing, his friend being in obvious distress.

“I‘ve missed luncheon,” said Pippin. “I promised Diamond that I would be there to have lunch with the family and the guests.”

“Pippin, Diamond is a reasonable lass,” said Reggie. “She’s probably heard by now what has delayed you. I’m sure they’ll all understand.”

That wasn‘t the point. Of course Diamond would understand, however, Pippin yearned to spend a little time alone with his wife and thought luncheon would provide the perfect venue where they could escape for a few minutes to be alone. Pippin was silent for a few moments, very disappointed that the day took a dreadful turn the way it did.

“She will,” he said mournfully.

“The hunt for the mistletoe happens at this time every Yule,” Reggie added. “The sun will set in a few hours, so we must start right away. Diamond knows it’s tradition. Besides that, it’s bad luck not to have mistletoe at the turning of the year.” Reggie gave Pippin a pat on the back in an attempt to cheer him up. “Come along, Pip! Jewel will have something quick to eat ready for us both and she‘ll send word to Diamond about you.”

“I suppose, but I haven’t seen Diamond since this morning,” Pippin said glumly as he began the trek to Reggie’s apartment.

Reggie regarded his younger cousin with a sincere smile. “You miss her.”

“I do.”

* * * * * * * * *

Inside the Great Hall, the room hummed softly with the multitude of voices and the aroma of just about every kind of food filled the air. Tables with crisp white tablecloths were lined up neatly in rows, colourful ribbons hung from wall sconces and bright candelabrums overhead. The mistletoe, painstakingly obtained from one particular oak tree hung over the centre of the large dance floor. Every couple dancing upon the floor, young and old, married or not, would vie to be under that spot throughout the night. That infernal mistletoe!

Seated to the left of Pippin’s empty chair at the head table, Diamond took a biscuit from the platter one of the servants offered to her and bit hard into it. This day hadn’t turned out as she thought it would. Not only did she and Pippin have almost no time together this Yule, but when he returned from his hunt for the mistletoe sporting a small cut on his temple, they had a quarrel over the importance of having Yule mistletoe at the feast (Hobbits in the Northfarthing did not hold the same high regard for the winter foliage as did hobbits in the Westfarthing). Diamond thought the dinner went fine although she surmised that those seated closest to her and Pippin were perceptive enough, or plainly knew about the matter, as she and Pippin spoke very little to each other.

Now Diamond was kicking herself; she had indeed overreacted. Pippin was one of the most selfless people she knew -- it was one of his many good qualities that she so admired. Pippin hunted the mistletoe every year not because of its supposed enchanting properties; even he knew better than that. But Pippin spent hours in the bitter cold every year to please his family and those he loved. Pippin didn’t truly believe in the plant’s magic any more than she did, but the children loved it -- as did the many couples who kissed beneath it. Perhaps it was the stress of the preparations, or maybe she was taking the separation harder than she thought and took it out on Pippin. Diamond sighed at her own ineffectiveness.

And truly, what was she thinking? In Yules past, they were always able to steal away for a bit because Pippin‘s parents had most everything under control. But this year, she and Pippin worked alone. Pippin was now officially Took and Thain, and she, the Mistress of Great Smials; they each had numerous duties, especially at Yule.

After the meal concluded and before the dancing begun, everyone plied for their attention: “Thain Peregrin, I would be pleased if you came over to meet my family -- my son wants to join the Hobbitry-in-Arms but...” or “Mistress Diamond, I’m from the Pincup Ladies Charity League, if you have a moment I‘d like to speak with you about...” On and on it went through all three courses.

Diamond sulked in her chair, sipping from her wine goblet to wash down the biscuit. As she continued to nibble, Diamond watched her husband dance with his Mum. The first dance of the Yule Feast was something traditionally given to the Took and his Mistress, but Diamond couldn’t begrudge Pippin and his Mum. In fact, Diamond encouraged it, telling Pippin that (speaking as a mother) it would give Eglantine the message that he is comfortable with being the head of the family and that he would be all right. In spite of this, Diamond was still put out by her own anger earlier, and still felt quite foolish for criticising her beloved. However inconsolable she felt...Diamond admitted that mother and son dancing together did look sweet.

The song ended and now everyone could take part in the dances. Everyone capable of dancing was fair game as long as they were willing to do so.

“May I have this dance?”

Diamond looked up to see Merry standing beside her.

“Stella noticed that you were looking a bit forlorn,” he said sympathetically, then held out his hand. “May I?”

Diamond smiled uneasily, but took his hand. “You may.”

Diamond loved Merry as the big brother she never had, but she didn’t wish to dance with him right now -- she wanted to dance with Pippin. However, it would be very impolite not to accept the noble offer from the Master of Buckland. Yet, as Merry escorted her to the dance floor, Diamond could plainly see that the love of her life had already been taken by their six-year-old daughter. Little Bonny wasted no time in taking her Papa’s hand for him to twirl her on the dance floor. Well, Diamond couldn’t begrudge that, either.

On through the evening, it was Merry, Everard, Fredegar, Merimas, Ferdibrand, Sam...every fine, strapping male hobbit the Shire proper and Buckland had to offer danced with Diamond. As for Pippin, it was Pearl, Pimpernel, Vinca, Stella, Laurel, Jewel, Juniper (Fredegar’s wife), Mum, Bonny, and even eighteen-month-old Blossom...the list for Pippin went on and on...at least, in Diamond’s point of view it did.

The evening was now getting late, and the requests for her to dance had become fewer. Diamond sat at the head table; the more she sipped her wine, the more dejected she felt. She began to reason that Pippin was purposely avoiding her because he was still vexed.

Every time a song ended and she thought perhaps Pippin might get a chance to dance with her, some old matron or young tweenager would ask for a dance to the next song, and Pippin rarely refused.

Finally, towards the end of the night, Diamond accepted the fact that she would have to spend the entire feast -- and her birthday, nonetheless -- without a dance from her beloved.

Not one dance.

A hot tear ran down her cheek as she watched Pippin join in the last song of the evening with the band, singing and playing his lap harp for the guests that remained. 

Well, Diamond thought mournfully, wiping away the tear, there’s nothing for it now but to collect my brood and head back to the apartment.

She drained her wine goblet, completely missing the part where Pippin whispered something to the other musicians and then laid aside his own instrument. Diamond rose from her seat, wrapped her shawl around her shoulders, then turned towards the door.

Not one dance.

“Mistress Took, may I have this dance?”

Diamond froze. She instantly recognised that voice. Diamond turned back around, seeing the face of her beloved standing before her, love and forgiveness in his eyes.

More tears threatened to blur her vision, but Diamond allowed her handsome Knight of Gondor to take her hand and lead her to the centre of the dance floor -- directly underneath the dreaded mistletoe. No one else was on the dance floor, all eyes were on them. He gave her a passionate kiss on the lips, being that was what mistletoes were for. The guests applauded.

“You look beautiful,” Pippin whispered, gazing directly into her soft brown eyes.

Diamond smiled through her tears; her green velvet skirt and silver-coloured silk blouse complimented his dashing silver and sable tunic. She felt Pippin’s strong arm around her waist gently draw her body to him, his other hand lifting hers as couples do when they dance.

Soon the music resumed; it was the absolutely last dance.

It was a simple tune with lyrics that everyone knew, played with just a violin and two lap harps. Diamond also recognised it as the same slow-dance song that was played at their wedding over seven years ago.

Diamond grew warm and tingly as she felt Pippin’s warm body pressed against hers. She closed her eyes, breathing in his scent and relished his touch. The rest of the world was shut out as they swayed gently to the music; a slow, romantic dance.

Pippin, too, closed his eyes, kissing his wife ardently. He loved her more than life itself.

Then Diamond felt Pippin lift her chin tenderly, she opened her eyes to meet his.

Pippin’s eyes never left his wife’s as he tenderly whispered, “You’re as ever beautiful as the day we married.” And then he smiled lovingly, still so much in love.

Snuggled in each others embrace, they continued to dance, oblivious to anyone else around.

In the far corner of the room, Pippin’s sisters quietly took his and Diamond’s small children to spend the night in their guest quarters so that the lovebirds could nestle without worry.

No future Yule would rival this one, as Diamond treasured the memory of this Yule forever in her heart.

The End

A/N: The song Pearl gave me is here: http://web.mac.com/pearltook/Pearls_Place/My_Stories/My_Stories.html





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List