Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Hobbit Tales  by PIppinfan1988

Tea for Two

Yuletide, 1390

Pervinca, Frodo, Paladin

The common room at Brandy Hall was filled with the buzz of a multitude of voices after the Yule gifts had been passed out to everyone. Adults conversed, exchanged family news, and the elders told their embellished stories of old. The children were actually cooperative in their play; sharing their new toys and the sweets they received from the various aunts, uncles, grandparents, and other relations.

Having nursed eight month old Pippin in their family suite in the Hall, Eglantine returned to her seat beside her husband with their infant son in her arms. Their youngest daughter, who recently turned five, sat near the hearth watching the ladies rise from their seats to get a good look at the her little brother.

“Is he trying to talk yet?” asked Merry’s Aunt Berylla, his uncle Merimac’s wife.

“He’s finally cut his first tooth?” Pervinca heard her Aunt Essie inquire to her mother. “He’s coming along nicely!”

“How wonderful--sitting on his own! He is doing marvellously,” Vinca heard another lady say, but didn’t know her name.

Eglantine and Paladin fielded all the questions and comments as best they could, proud of their baby’s accomplishments; for every milestone this child conquered was indeed a victory.

Little Pervinca still wasn’t quite used to this wee upstart taking all the attention. Until he came along, she had always been the baby. Perhaps if they knew all the things she could do, they would be impressed with her as well. Vinca rose up from where she sat, going up to the first adult in her path who was fawning over her little brother.

“Hullo!” she said, tugging on the old matron’s skirt, “I know how to count to ten!”

“That’s nice, dear,” said Merry’s aunt Dellie, then turned back to coo the wee babe.

Vinca next pulled on the smock sleeve of a grey-haired gammer. “I can say all of my letters!” she announced, hoping the old lady would ask her to recite them. “My papa showed me…,” the child trailed off. This one didn’t even turn to listen to the child speak, intent on pressing Tina for more details of Pippin’s first few weeks in life. Vinca let out an exasperated sigh before making one more attempt.

She tapped the knee of yet one more lady. This one didn’t have grey hair; she looked to be as old as her momma, so Vinca thought she had a chance with this one. “Hullo,” she started yet again, “I know how to skip! Pimmie learned me. I’m five now!” She held up her small hand with all her digits extended. “See? And I can run fast! I can run…fast.” Pervinca sighed again, though this one was more forlorn. The child turned away sadly, getting the same lack of response as the previous ladies.

Pervinca made her way over to a darkened corner to sit and ponder her plight. Why weren’t they as interested in her own achievements as they were in Pippin’s? Pippin couldn’t count--he couldn’t even talk! Pippin this, and Pippin that, she thought dolefully. Then she saw the big furry feet step up out of the corner of her tearful eye.

The young tweenager got down on his haunches to better speak to the small lass. He smiled, “I heard that you could count all the way to ten!”

Vinca knew her dark-haired cousin from Merry's birthday party in Afterlithe.  She sniffed, “I can.”

“Not using any of your fingers?” he asked with a playful grin.

“Don’t need to,” she replied to the lad, “Papa showed me how.”

The tween remembered countless occasions here in Brandy Hall when he felt just the same as this little lass did at this moment; dejected and rejected. The few relations that did care for him were not enough to keep him here when opportunity knocked last year. Fortunately, young Merry was old enough to understand his move to Bag End, otherwise, he would have endured the crowded smial just for him.

Frodo held out a hand to his young lass-cousin, “Let’s sit over there--on the other side of the hearth.” He indicated to her newest toy, a child-sized rocking chair that her auntie and uncle had given her for Yule. Esmeralda delighted in indulging her nieces, as she had no daughters of her own.

Paladin had caught sight of his youngest daughter plying for attention moments ago. Both he and Tina had been through this phase twice before with Pearl and Pimpernel. He knew all Vinca wanted was someone to listen to her. Paladin scanned the room for the lass, spying her in the corner wiping her eyes. He whispered into his wife’s ear; getting a nod of agreement, Paladin then rose up from his seat, but before he could manage to get away from the inquisitive ladies, he saw that his young tweenaged cousin had already intervened--complete with teacups.

“…and I can skip all the way to the gate,” Paladin heard his young daughter declare in the distance with all seriousness to Frodo.

Paladin smiled, watching the five year old sipping her ‘tea’--more than likely apple juice--with pinkie extended, just like she did when playing ‘tea party’ at home in Whitwell.

Pervinca smiled at her cousin in spite of her pink nose, “I can sing the letter-song, too!”

“I can’t remember when I last heard the letter-song!” said Frodo excitedly. “Will you sing it for me?”

Softly, Vinca proceeded to sing for her cousin every letter in the Westron alphabet.

With a smile of satisfaction, Paladin sat down again. His Sweet Pea was in good hands.

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List