Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Drabbles  by Lindelea

Claiming the Prize
...a triple drabble...

The Thain surveyed the slight (for a hobbit) youth before him; still a tween, by anyone’s account, always hungered, always eating (as oft as he could manage), yet growing still, up, if not out. Even if he were growing, he was a full head shorter than Ferdibrand or Tolibold, former heads of escort. Hobbits of the Thain’s escort tended to be taller than average. Not so tall as Pippin or Merry, perhaps, but then, Ent draughts weren’t common in the Shire proper, now, were they.

‘Aren’t you a little young to be head of escort?’

Adelbrim straightened, if that were possible. From the corner of his eye, the Thain saw Faramir give an encouraging nod to his friend, who had, against all custom, won the Tournament and now claimed the prize, instead of stepping aside for the next-place finisher, who was of a proper age for the responsibility.

Not that the winner always took the post. A farmer would scarcely leave his land, though he’d accept the second-place purse in turning down the position, and let the gold go to the winner.

‘I suppose I might be,’ Adelbrim allowed, then cocked an intelligent eye up at the Thain. ‘But so were you.’

There was a stifled gasp from those close enough to hear the quiet words of challenge.

The Thain’s eyes narrowed, and at his mild tone, those who knew him well stiffened. ‘I beg your pardon?’

Adelbrim stiffened more, though his eyes never left the Thain’s. ‘You were full young, I believe, to follow your cousin Frodo Baggins into the wild, and to become a guardsman of Gondor, and fight in battle, and slay a troll…’

It was as if the entire world held its breath, waiting for the Thain to make up his mind.

And then he laughed.

***

A/N: Adelbrim was introduced in As the Gentle Rain and the short story Dressed to the Teeth. He is Faramir's friend from their early years, and the youngest Head of escort in the history of the Tooks.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List