Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Force of Nature  by shirebound

This chapter references “Quarantined”, Chapter 17.

 

FORCE OF NATURE

Chapter 3 - Hidden Dangers

He told them tales … of the Forest, about the evil things and good things, things friendly and things unfriendly, cruel things and kind things, and secrets hidden under bramblesThe Fellowship of the Ring, ‘In the House of Tom Bombadil’

 

Aragorn mounted Arthad, and Thalguron lifted the two younger hobbits up to him -- Frodo in front, with Scamp in his arms, and Merry behind.  Thalguron placed Bilbo on his own horse, and mounted behind him, one arm securely around Bilbo’s waist.  The Rangers rode swiftly, following along the Hedge until Bilbo pointed out a gaping hole on their right, cut into a low hill.

After securing the horses, the Rangers and hobbits entered the old tunnel, and descended under the Hedge.  Frodo, with Scamp at his heels, let his fingers brush against the side of the tunnel as they traversed its length; smooth bricks set into the walls arched high overhead so that even Aragorn and Thalguron could walk upright.

After about 25 feet, the tunnel began sloping upwards, and soon Aragorn was unlocking the iron gate at the end with Merry’s key.  Merry found himself relieved to be back in bright sunlight; the tunnel had been dim and damp, not like a snug hobbit hole at all.  Looking back, he saw that the Hedge was now behind them... and the Old Forest loomed ahead, dark and ominous.  His heart was still racing from riding on such an enormous horse and at such speed -- and he reached out suddenly and took Bilbo’s hand, grasping it tightly.  All at once, he wasn’t unhappy that he would be going no farther... and that Bilbo would be with him.

“Be very careful, my lad,” Bilbo said to Frodo.  “Watch out for trolls.”

“I will,” Frodo said with a grin.

“Trolls?” Thalguron asked, puzzled.

“Of course,” Aragorn said with a wink at Frodo.  “One never knows where trolls might be lurking.”

“Don’t be too long,” Merry said anxiously.  Frodo gave him a hug, then turned to where Aragorn and Thalguron were waiting.

“Come on, Scamp,” Frodo said, and the pup bounded along at his heels.  Soon, Frodo and the Rangers had crossed the wide, grassy hollow between the gate and the trees, entering the Old Forest.

It was dark and overgrown, with huge trees of every shape and description looming over them, their twisted and gnarled roots interlacing the ground, over and under.  The faint path that the group had followed across the hollow instantly disappeared as they entered the trees, and Frodo looked around anxiously, feeling as if they were being watched from every side.  At first he heard no sound but the dripping of water, but soon realized that Thalguron had been correct -- there was a faint whispering and rustling all about them.

Scamp was sniffing about with great interest, and Thalguron crouched down near the pup.  From a pouch at his waist, he pulled out a small parchment scroll bound with leather strips.

“It is a missive from Halbarad,” he explained as Frodo knelt next to him.  “It is all I possess that he has touched.  Do you suppose your dog can---”

“Scamp,” Frodo said seriously, taking the scroll from Thalguron, “we need you to find someone.”  He held out the scroll and bindings for Scamp to thoroughly sniff, then pointed the dog toward the trees.  “Find him, Scamp,” Frodo urged.  “Go on, you can do it.”

Scamp sniffed about the area for a short time, running first one way, then another.

“I hope she does not grow confused by my own tracks,” Aragorn said, concerned.  “I went only a short way into the trees, but it might be enough to---”

“She has his trail!” Thalguron cried, getting to his feet.  Indeed, Scamp had begun to whine and bark, and was bounding forward as quickly as she could amongst the roots and mossy growth.  She stopped suddenly, and looked back to make sure that Frodo was following.

“Let’s go,” Aragorn said, and he, Frodo, and Thalguron followed Scamp deeper into the trees.

After a few minutes, Frodo looked behind him and realized that he could no longer see the way back.

“Don’t worry, little one,” Aragorn said, resting a gentle hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“Be sure not to call Merry that,” Frodo said, smiling at the nickname only Aragorn used for him.  “He’s very proud of how fast he’s growing.”

“I will remember,” Aragorn replied.  “Your young cousin is quite...”  He stopped speaking as Scamp began to bark excitedly from somewhere ahead of them.

“Halbarad!” Thalguron called.  “Halbarad, can you hear me?”

“Thalguron?”  A faint voice answered from directly ahead.

Thalguron raced ahead, followed closely by Frodo and Aragorn.  They broke through the trees to a small clearing, where a young Man sat with his back to a tree.

“Thalguron,” Halbarad breathed with relief, “I am so happy to see you.”  He looked up as Aragorn approached him.  “Forgive me, Captain,” he said, a look of shame on his face.

Frodo looked up at Aragorn in surprise.  He had known that Estel was a Ranger, but... he was their leader?

“I suspect you have learned your lesson, my friend,” Aragorn said gently, kneeling next to Halbarad.  The young Ranger was pale, and looked to be in pain.  “Are you injured?”

“My ankle,” Halbarad replied, motioning to his right foot.  “I tripped on a root and fell awkwardly.  I think it is broken, but I have not yet examined it.”

“Why not?” Thalguron asked.  “You have been here since...”

“Yesterday,” Halbarad said.  He tensed as Aragorn began to unlace his boot.  “I have had a very strange experience.”

“Tell us about it,” Frodo said.  He saw that Halbarad was gazing at him in wonder.  The resemblance between the young Ranger and Thalguron was so striking, Frodo was certain they must be brothers.  “I am Frodo Baggins, of the Shire -- at your service.”

“I am Halbarad of the Dúnedain,” Halbarad said, touching a hand to his chest.  “Was that your pup who found me, Frodo Baggins of the Shire?”

“Yes,” Frodo grinned.  “Where is that rascal?”  He looked around, then, hearing some familiar snuffling and yipping sounds, circled behind the tree.

“How is it that you travel with one of the halflings?” Halbarad asked.  He winced suddenly as Aragorn drew off his boot as gently as he could.

“They prefer to be called hobbits,” Aragorn murmured, examining the Man’s ankle.  “It is indeed broken, Halbarad... and rather badly.”  He felt the Man’s face and frowned.  The young Ranger was burning with fever.  “I fear the bone must be re-set; we’re going to take you to a nearby dwelling where I can tend you properly and you can rest.”

“Why did you not check your ankle before this?” Thalguron asked Halbarad.

“I did not think of it at first.  I was enspelled, and no longer felt the pain.”  Halbarad took a deep breath.  “For a time, I did not wish to leave here.” 

Aragorn looked around suddenly.  “Frodo, where are you?” he called.

“I’m all right,” Frodo’s voice came from nearby.  “Scamp’s found something!”

“Tell us what you experienced,” Thalguron urged his brother.

“I was looking for a way into the Old Forest, when I discovered a tunnel, and a gate...”

“The hobbits built it, long ago,” Aragorn explained.  He held up Merry’s key.  “They have a more practical method of entry than the one you found.”

“I barely squeezed through the hole the storms had opened,” Halbarad said ruefully, looking down at his muddy garments.  “I planned only to come into the Forest a short distance, then return, but... when I finally turned back, the clear trail I followed in had vanished.  I have never seen such a thing!”

“We know,” Thalguron nodded.  “We were fortunate that the hobbits and their dog ‘discovered’ us.  I doubt we could have found you without aid.”

“I am most grateful to them,” Halbarad said, drinking thirstily from the bottle Aragorn handed him.  “I grew completely confused, and did not know in which direction to go.  I came to this clearing.  I explored the area a bit, and discovered something not far away.”  He looked at Aragorn.  “I found bones, nearly hidden beneath a tangle of large thorns.  I believe they might be the remains of one of the Dúnedain of the elder days, who died here.”

“Perhaps,” Thalguron said, “or possibly they are animal bones.”

“I know human bones when I see them,” Halbarad said sharply.

“Halbarad,” Aragorn reminded him, “why did you say that you did not for a time wish to leave this place?”

“It was very odd,” Halbarad said.  “I tried to reach for the bones, and was scratched by one of the thorns.  I could almost swear that... It seemed that the brambles moved on their own.”  He shook his head.  “I returned to this tree, where I had left my pack, in order to find something to bind my hand.”  He held up his right hand, around which a small cloth had been tied.  “It was beginning to grow dark, and I decided to leave further explorations for the morning.  Perhaps it was an hour later, I was walking about taking one last look around before the light fled, when I grew very dizzy.  I fell, and that’s when my ankle was injured.”

“Go on,” Aragorn urged.

“I started to feel very... strange.  The trees began to murmur and whisper, although I could not understand them.  I thought they might be trying to tell me something, but...” He sighed.  “I was taught that there were trees in Middle-earth that speak so that we can comprehend them, but I am not skilled enough to hear them.”

“There are trees which speak,” Aragorn said thoughtfully, “but not all.  The Elves awoke them, but the trees in this clearing are young; perhaps only the eldest can speak so that we can understand.”

“I felt a strange peace,” Halbarad continued.  “The pain in my ankle ceased to bother me, and I no longer wished to leave the Old Forest.  I felt I could remain here until the end of my days.”  He flexed his bound hand.  “I suspect that something entered my blood when I was scratched by the thorn -- something that affected my thinking.”  He looked at his brother.  “If you had found me then, I might not have welcomed you.  I wished to stay here.”

“But the madness passed?” Thalguron asked anxiously.

“Yes,” Halbarad said with relief.  “Many hours went by, and I continued to feel at home here.  I felt no need for sleep or rest.  Finally, towards dawn, I believe, I fell into a deep sleep.  When I awoke, just a short time ago, I felt very ill and was... quite sick; there may have been some poison still in my body from the thorn.  Then the sickness passed.  My ankle was throbbing painfully, and I was quite dizzy.”  Halbarad closed his eyes for a moment.  “I am still dizzy.”

“It may be the fever,” Aragorn said.

Halbarad nodded.  “I was trying to determine in which direction to go when the pup found me.”  He smiled.  “I have never seen such a tiny dog.”

Aragorn chuckled.  “What she lacks in stature she makes up in loyalty, intelligence, and an adventurous spirit -- much like her master.”  He looked around.  “We need to leave.  Thalguron, would you retrieve Frodo?  I want to use the handkerchief Bilbo gave him to protect Halbarad’s ankle on the way out.  Hopefully, Scamp will not need it to retrace our---”

Halbarad gasped suddenly and looked around.  “Where is the halfling?  You must keep him away from---”

“Frodo!”  Aragorn leaped to his feet.  “Frodo!”

“I’m here!” Frodo and Scamp reappeared through a tangle of growth nearby.  “Estel, you need to see something!  Scamp was digging under a...” 

Aragorn suddenly ran to him and knelt.  He took Frodo’s small hands in his own and examined them.

“Frodo,” Aragorn said, trying to keep his voice calm, “how did you get all these scratches?”

“I was trying to tell you about it,” Frodo said patiently.  “Scamp was digging under this strange bush, and I saw what looked like... bones.  There were shreds of cloth partly buried, and I found something that I want to show you.  There were sharp thorns covering everything,  though, so it was hard to...”

“Get him out of this Forest,” Halbarad said urgently, trying to struggle to his feet.  He could see that the backs of Frodo’s hands were bleeding slightly.  “We must leave, Aragorn, while he’s still willing to come with us.  He’s not cut as deeply as I was, but he’s so small that...”

“What are you talking about?” Frodo asked.  He looked around at the Men’s faces, puzzled.  “Why are you all looking at me like that?”

“We’re leaving,” Aragorn said grimly.  “Now.”

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  I never doubted that Scamp would find him!  And good luck with all your tests.  It’ll be summer before you know it.

Andrea:  I see Merry as someone who always wants to be prepared for anything.  He’s certainly very “take charge” in FOTR when Frodo is leaving the Shire.

Anso the Hobbit:  I’m certainly happy that such a Merry-lover as yourself is enjoying the story.

aprilkat:  “Scamp - Detective Dog”!  Sounds like a comic strip or Saturday morning cartoon.  Love it!  Ah, if only we could all spend a weekend camping with hobbits... and their puppies.

Arwen Baggins:  I suppose this could be the time when Frodo entered the Old Forest; it’s fun to weave together canon and AU.

Breon Briarwood:  Nothing too dire will happen, but it’s fun to have ‘ominous music’ in the background.

cuthalion:  I’m also delighted to have this ‘universe’ to visit whenever there’s a need for puppies, friends, and happy endings.

EllyBaggins:  I never planned to write any more of this ‘universe’ after “Quarantined” and “By Chance or Purpose” - but here we are, four sequels later!  I have no idea what will be next, if anything, but the door is open for any ideas that pop into my head.  I’m so happy you’re enjoying these.

Elven Kitten:  Thank you, my bouncy friend!

Endaewen:  Merry may not get as “tangled” in things as Frodo, but he certainly won’t be left out.

Gods-girl2004:  You’re right... later in life, Merry will certainly have enough stories to tell about the Old Forest.

Lily Baggins:  Of course things are going “as expected”!  With just a teensy complication, as usual...

Lily the Hobbit:  It’s fun figuring out “young” Merry - so sure of himself, yet still so young.

lindahoyland:  The surprises aren’t too nasty, just (hopefully) interesting!

Lindelea:  Indeed!  “What could be safer?” is right up there with “What could possibly happen?”

lovethosehobbits:  Sweet Scamp doesn’t even suspect how important she is... I don’t think.  Maybe she’s as secretly pleased to be useful as any of us.

mews1945:  Yes, what could be safer than being with Rangers?  (Luckily, nothing too dire in this particular Universe.)

my-fool-of-a-took:  I’m happy we can all share a new adventure together.

Mysterious Jedi:  So many bunny bites... so little time...

Slightly Tookish:  I just had to write Bilbo’s pocket handkerchiefs into a story somewhere.  He certainly seemed distressed to be without one at the beginning of The Hobbit.  MacGyver had his Swiss Army knife... Bilbo has his pocket handkerchiefs.

smalldiver:  Reviewing from school... it’ll be our secret!  Shhhh...

Tathar:  I don’t think I’ve written Ranger h/c since “Quarantined”!  It’s fun.  What I mean is, er... gosh what a shame about Halbarad’s broken ankle and fever...

TheHobbitWaffle:  I think “fluffy angst” is a wonderful name for these types of stories.

Tigger:  Thank you for such enthusiasm and support.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List