Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

ET's Dribs and Drabbles  by Elena Tiriel


There and Back Again


Memoirs had always fascinated Frodo. As a lad, he begged Bilbo daily to retell the tales of his grand adventure with his doughty dwarven companions.

When Balin paid them a surprise visit, Frodo attended eagerly as the white-beard told of rebuilding the Lonely Mountain and filling the Dragon's Desolation with sturdy stoneworks.

Balin's deep voice resonated with pride for the reconstruction of his forefathers' halls. But Frodo also detected a hint of longing for his people's once-hallowed home, Khazad-dûm.

Now, in the light-shaft's harsh glare, Gandalf sighs and sets down the Book of Mazarbul.

"I fear their end was cruel."



'And what has become of Balin and Ori and Óin?' asked Frodo.

A shadow passed over Glóin's face. 'We do not know,' he answered. 'It is largely on account of Balin that I have come to ask the advice of those that dwell in Rivendell.'

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 1, Many Meetings

The Company stood silent beside the tomb of Balin. Frodo thought of Bilbo and his long friendship with the dwarf, and of Balin's visit to the Shire long ago. In that dusty chamber in the mountains it seemed a thousand years ago and on the other side of the world.

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 5, The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

Middle Earth Fanfiction Awards (MEFA 2005):
The Merry and Eowyn Award: 3rd Place, Cross-Cultural: Drabbles





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List