Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

ET's Dribs and Drabbles  by Elena Tiriel


Ambush in Ithilien


We stand alert, tense, hidden in shadows above the deep-cloven road cutting, awaiting my bird-call.

On this very road in ancient days, the last living heir of the newly-slain King fell to in-swarming Wainriders, stirred up by the Enemy. Kingless, Gondor staggered, but did not fall.

Now 'tis accursed Southrons, red-clad and red-bannered, who march towards the Black Gate, swelling the ranks of those sworn to the Nameless. Silently, we watch the sanguine horde crowd heedlessly into the narrow. Unwary.

Never to depart.

Our longbows creak under the strain. Once again will crimson slaughter befoul our beloved Ithilien.

I signal.



'Did you hear a whistle, and what sounded like an answer?' [Sam] asked.... 'I hope it was only a bird, but it didn't sound quite like that: more like somebody mimicking a bird-call, I thought.'

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

'But still we will not sit idle and let [the Enemy] do all as He would,' said Mablung. 'These cursed Southrons come now marching up the ancient roads to swell the hosts of the Dark Tower.... And they go ever more heedlessly, we learn, thinking that the power of their new master is great enough, so that the mere shadow of His hills will protect them. We come to teach them another lesson. Great strength of them was reported to us some days ago, marching north. One of their regiments is due by our reckoning to pass by, some time ere noon — up on the road above, where it passes through the cloven way. The road may pass, but they shall not! Not while Faramir is Captain.'

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Author's Note: In Third Age 1944, during the disastrous Battle against the Wainriders at the Morannon, King Ondoher of Gondor and both his sons Artamir and Faramir (who was to stay in Minas Tirith as regent, but stole away to join the battle in disguise) were slain. His sister-son (and last blood heir) Minohtar led the rearguard defense of the retreating army on the North Road of Ithilien, but was also slain:
In 1944 King Ondoher and both his sons, Artamir and Faramir, fell in battle north of the Morannon, and the enemy poured into Ithilien.

The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion

Minohtar had withdrawn his line to the head of the great North Road of Ithilien....

The Wainriders came on in little order, still exultant and singing songs of victory..., until they found that the road into Gondor turned south into a narrow land of trees under the shadow of the dark Ephel Dúath, where an army could march, or ride, in good order only down a great highway. Before them it ran on through a deep cutting....

[The] notes at the end show that they were not long held up by the rearguard defence of Minohtar. 'The Wainriders poured relentlessly into Ithilien,' and 'late on the thirteenth day of Cermië they overwhelmed Minohtar,' who was slain by an arrow. He is here said to have been King Ondoher's sister-son.... Nothing more can be made out; but the brief account in Appendix A to The Lord of the Rings tells how Eärnil came up from the south and routed them [in the Battle of the Camp]....

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 2, Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan: The Northmen and the Wainriders

Middle Earth Fanfiction Awards (MEFA 2005):
The Turin Turambar Award: 1st Place, Drama: Gondor Drabbles





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List