Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

All I Ever Wanted  by PIppinfan1988

Written for Marigold’s Challenge 12

Your starter is: “I think...that I am drunk. I think.”

Disclaimer: Hobbits are not mine; only in my dreams. They belong to JRRT.

Summary: Merry takes advantage of a drunken lass and ends up marrying her…lol.

PROLOGUE: In the Return Of The King, The Scouring of The Shire, JRRT doesn’t seem to have Merry going home right away. First he is engaged in the Battle of Bywater, then along with Pippin, he’s routing the ruffians out of the Shire. I often wonder what his (and Pippin’s) reunions were like. Here is one possibility for my other beloved hobbit, Merry.

ALL I EVER WANTED

By Pippinfan

“I think…that I am drunk. I think,” said the lass sitting across form Merry. “I’ve never felt this…felt like this before.” Reaching into her handbag, she dabbed at her glistening forehead. She had walked into the inn and brazenly challenged Pippin to a drinking game. The idea was to bounce a copper coin off the table and have it land inside the mug. For every miss, the player must take a draught of the heady liquid inside. Pippin had lots of practice at this game…the lass didn’t.

“Really?” he asked. He turned to his younger cousin, “Pip! Run and go get Freddie.” He helped the tween along with a gentle shove in the direction of the pipeweed shop. Still healing from the treatment he received while locked up, it would take Fredegar at least ten minutes to arrive. In the meantime, Merry had a scheme up his sleeve. There was a reason why he sent Pippin on the errand.

“There is a way to be sure, you know,” he answered conspiratorially.

“How is that?”

Merry glanced around the inn to ensure prying eyes weren’t about. He took the lass by the hand, leading her outside and around the sheds.

“What are you doing?” she asked, her breath emitting vaporous puffs as she spoke. Outside in the cold, late autumn chill, she wrapped her cloak tighter.

Merry found the seclusion he sought, then brought the lass up towards him. “You want to try the test, don’t you?” His nose and cheeks were rosy from the cold air.

“Well, yes…I suppose so.”

Merry hesitated, then plunged ahead, kissing her fully on the lips. He closed his eyes, feeling her soft, warm lips touch his. He waited for either a hand to smack him, or…or…nothing. She didn’t hit him -- that was a good sign. For a long, sweet couple of minutes Merry and the lass stood between two work sheds on the leaf covered ground embracing in a blissful kiss.

Finally, the lass broke away, caressing his cheek with the back of her cool fingers. Merry never flinched at her touch. “Why did you have to go away for so long, Merry?”

“Why did you have to challenge Pippin to that game?”

“I asked first,” she said.

“I couldn’t tell you, Stella,” said Merry, recalling the conversation at Crickhollow, revealing the Conspiracy to Frodo. He still remembered his hair standing on end, seeing a Ringwraith that night at Bucklebury Ferry. “You must know that--at least, I think you now know. It would have put you and all my family in grave danger had I said anything beforehand.” Then he added for good measure, “If it helps, Pippin didn’t leave his parents or sisters a note--and at the time, he wasn’t going to come of age for another five years. He was in the same boat as I was.” He smiled, watching Estella grimace at the mention of boats. Merry gently took her chin in his hand. “Am I forgiven?”

Estella nodded, then took his hand in hers, feeling a different strength in it. She imagined it came from wielding a sword for such a long time. “I was furious with you for leaving,” she said, looking Merry in his deep, blue eyes. “I discovered everything when my brother fled Crickhollow, escaping to Brandy Hall. Word spread all the way to Budgeford that you lads went into the Old Forest. We assumed you all died in there when you didn’t return.” Reaching up with her other hand, Estella lovingly traced the brown scar over Merry’s brow. Her eyes filled with tears, “I missed you so much, Merry. I cried for months.”

Merry felt his heart torn; he gently kissed her again. “I am sorry,” he said, returning her gaze. Their eyes spoke volumes of things unsaid between them. Taking her arm in his, they began to walk back towards the warmth of the inn. “Now,” his voice taking on a playful tone, “what prompted you to ask Pippin to play the beer game?”

“I wanted to make you angry--it was my way of getting back at you.” Estella’s ankle twisted slightly, falling into Merry. “Oops!”

“Are you all right?” Merry asked.

“Yes, thank you.” Estella gathered her dignity, adjusting her hair combs. She whispered to Merry, “I think it’s the beer.” She, then continued--as if nothing happened--with her answer to why she challenged Pippin, “And…I wanted to see if you still wanted me.”

Merry was not used to seeing his lass inebriated. He swept the love of his life into his arms to carry her. He looked at her in disbelief. “What…?”

“You certainly took your time in returning home to Buckland,” answered Estella. “I thought you had found another lass away there in Hobbiton.”

Merry laughed so hard he almost dropped her. “And just who would that be?” he teased.

“You know who I’m speaking of!” she smiled, wrinkling her nose in distaste. “That Angelica Baggins lass.”

Merry carefully set Estella on her feet. He shook his head, “No, Stella. You are the one who has my heart.” Right there in the middle of Bucklebury Market, Merry lovingly wrapped his arms around Estella, kissing her long and deeply.

EPILOGUE:

On the first day of Lithe, 1421, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Miss Estella Bolger were joined together as husband and wife. They lived in Brandy Hall, had six children and twenty-four grandchildren. When Estella died, Merry wrote her epitaph: “Estella Bolger Brandybuck, 1385-1484. All I ever wanted was you.”

The End





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List