Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 64. The Hands of the King

They caught up with the detail of guardsmen halfway to Bucklebury, or at least, the half of the detail that had taken that branch of the road. The King spurred his horse to the sergeant's side. 'I see we are not the only two in violation of the King's edict,' he said grimly.

The old sergeant met his eyes steadily. 'If you'd seen the sights my eyes have seen this day...' he began. 'You may put me to the sword, if you like, Sir, but be good enough to wait until we've done all we can for the Pheriannath.' He looked away, and a haunted expression crossed his face. 'We've not found a healthy one, yet,' he said. 'None dead, but they may be soon, without help. Animals left starving in barns, too.' He looked back to the King. 'Did you bring any more guardsmen with you, Sir?' he asked. 'It's a big country, for all that Little People live in it, and we haven't even reached the end of this little piece of road yet.'

Pippin stirred in the King's arms, to speak weakly in response. 'Tookland's not so bad off as Buckland,' he said. 'But I've no idea what's happening in other places.'

The King made a difficult decision. 'Send one of your men back to the gate,' he told the sergeant. 'Tell them to cross the Bridge and start working their way West, sending some along the side roads to the North and South, helping as many as they may. If we can get some of the hobbits on their feet, they can begin helping their own.'

'They're to cross into the main part of the Shire?' the grizzled guardsman said carefully. He wanted to be absolutely sure of his orders.

'That's right,' the King said. 'I'm issuing a new edict, for the duration of the emergency. Now carry on.'

'Yes, Sir!' the sergeant saluted, sent off one of his men northwards, then turned off to the next farmstead along the road. Elessar and Bergil spurred their horses on towards the Hall.

They passed through silent Bucklebury, and Pippin was awake enough to tell them when to turn off for the Hall. Clusters of ponies grazed near the Hall as they rode into the yard and dismounted. The King detailed Bergil to haul water from the well in the courtyard to fill the trough for their horses to drink, then asked Pippin, 'Do you think you can walk?'

'Put me down,' Pippin answered. 'I've rested, I'll be all right for the nonce.' He led the King to the main entrance to Brandy Hall. The huge doors allowed the King to enter with the merest ducking of his head, and as long as he was careful not to walk into the hanging lamps, he crossed the entry hall without difficulty, though he had to walk bent over when they reached the corridor.

He crouched to enter the guest room where Merry rested, and the room seemed suddenly crowded, though it held only Berilac, Pippin and the King, and of course, the bed with Merry in it, Estella curled by his side. The King knelt by the bed, took up Merry's hand and stayed very still, as if listening. He put a gentle hand to the forehead, lifting the eyelids with a careful thumb, peering into the depths of each eye.

'I will need a basin of hot water,' he said finally.

Estella nodded and rose from the bed. 'I'm all right,' she said to Berilac. 'I've had a good rest.' She left the room.

The King bowed his head, hand still on Merry's forehead, and stayed without moving for long moments. Pippin and Berilac watched in suspense, hardly daring to breathe. Then Elessar began to murmur softly in a language they did not know, saying Merry's name at intervals.

Estella returned with a basin and a steaming kettle. Putting the basin down on the table, she carefully poured the hot water into it and stepped back to the bed. 'How is he?' she whispered.

The King smiled. 'He hasn't given in, yet. He is still fighting.' He took some dried leaves from a pouch that hung from his neck, breathed on them as he held them in his hands, crumbled them and cast them into the water, holding the basin before Merry's face for him to breathe the steam. The fresh, living fragrance of athelas filled the room, and the recovering hobbits felt their heads becoming clearer and their aching muscles ease.

The King placed his hand on the Master's forehead again. 'Merry,' he said quietly. 'It is time to waken. Return now, and walk in the light.'

Merry took a deep breath, then another, and the anxious hobbits saw colour start to steal into his face.

'Merry?' Estella breathed. 'Beloved?'

Merry stirred, opened his eyes, and smiled at his wife. 'Hullo, my love,' he said. 'Is it time to get up now?'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List