Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 52. Five-Hobbit Consultation

Samwise got up to fetch a comfortable chair from the next room, placing it in readiness at the foot of the bed. He freshened his brandy and Pippin's before sitting down again.

Merry stirred and muttered in his sleep, and again the watchers heard Frodo's name.

'Huh,' Pippin said. 'Wonder what he's dreaming about.'

'Seems to be a good dream, anyhow,' Samwise murmured. 'He's smiling.' They sipped in silence, then the Mayor said, 'What's the news from Tookland?' A message had arrived as they watched the races.

'Reginard knew I'd be back from Lake Evendim this day,' Pippin said. 'He knew the races had been rescheduled and I'd be stopping over, but he wanted to hurry my return as soon as possible after the celebration.'

The door opened to admit the steward, carried by Doderas and Elberic. They settled him in the waiting chair, Doderas propping his healing legs up on the foot of the bed, while Elberic poured him a glass of brandy.

'Thank you, lads,' Berilac said. He nodded towards the next room. 'You wait there, play at Kings or somewhat. I'll call you if you're needed.' They disappeared into the next room. Berilac looked to the bed. 'Resting comfortably, I hear.'

'O aye,' the Thain answered. 'For the first time in how long?'

The steward only shook his head. 'He never was one to sleep much. It was worse, of course, after you lot came back from the War. He wandered the corridors like a ghost, then. I thought for awhile we'd waken one morning and he'd be gone, thrown himself in the River, but he didn't.*'

'How...?' Pippin asked.

'I was one of the ones set to watch him,' Berilac said.

'He never mentioned it.'

'He never knew,' the steward said, taking a sip of his brandy. 'At least I hope he didn't know how his father fretted about him. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that the son worries as much as old Saradoc did. It was a relief to all when Estella took him in hand and settled him down.'

He shook his head again. 'If anything happens to Estella, I don't know what he'll do.'

'Well, let's not get on that ferry until it comes in to dock,' Sam said.

Pippin snorted. 'Trust you to stay off a ferry in any event, even if it takes you an extra twenty miles to go round by way of the Bridge.'

'Well, then, I never need fear drowning, do I?' Sam said pleasantly.

'Hah,' Pippin said. 'Probably drink too much at the Green Dragon and fall into a brimming ditch on the way home when you're an old gaffer, then what'll you do if you haven't learned to swim?'

'Doesn't seem to be much hazard of brimming ditches lately,' Sam answered soberly.

Berilac leaned forward. 'What's the situation in Westfarthing?'

Pippin took out the message from Reginard, smoothed out the folds, handed it to Berilac. 'See for yourself.'

He read, then made a sharp exclamation. 'Failed?' he breathed. 'Completely?'

Pippin nodded. 'While I was off gallivanting with the King, the crops were dying in the field. Hardly anything worth harvesting, though Regi's got crews out gleaning what they can. I expect he's got hobbits combing the woods, as well, trying to gather as many acorns as possible to grind into flour. Nuts, too, though they'll be poor enough from the drought.'

Sam spoke up. 'Hobbiton's just as bad. And news from the other Farthings is no better. Buckland had the best harvest of the whole Shire because you were able to save some of your crops using water from the River.'

'Best harvest...' Berilac echoed in shock. 'We'll be eating off the last of our reserves as it is; what we're harvesting wouldn't take us through Yule.'

'At least you have reserves,' the Mayor said gloomily.

Merry stirred again. 'The King?' he said clearly. 'How could he help us?'

Berilac raised an eyebrow.

'I gather he's been asking Frodo for advice,' Pippin said dryly. 'At least, he's said the name several times.'

'Could the King help, somehow?' Berilac asked.

Putting down his glass, Pippin scrubbed wearily at his face with his hands. 'He was to stay in Bree last night, and then start off on the journey to Gondor this morning. Anyhow, I've no idea what he could do to help.'

'Even the animals are starving,' Sam said. 'Not enough forage for them, and what there is, is sucked dry. Wonder when the rains will come.'

'Even if they came this day, it would be too late,' Pippin said. 'We have to face it, the Shire will run out of food before Yule. Even if the rains return, we won't make it to another harvest.'

They sipped their brandy in gloomy silence, broken finally by Berilac. 'What are we going to do?' he asked softly, fighting fear. The most powerful hobbits in the Shire didn't seem to have any answers.

'Ship grain from Rohan and Gondor?' Merry said. 'Frodo, what do you mean?'

Pippin sat up abruptly. 'Ship grain...' he said. 'How?'

Merry stirred and half-opened his eyes, looking in Pippin's direction. 'I wish you would explain more clearly, Frodo, I'm not sure I understand,' he said to Pippin.

'Nor do I, completely,' Pippin answered him. 'Merry? How would grain be shipped? In waggons up the Greenway?'

The other was nodding, to all appearances half-awake, but his next words showed that he was still deep in a dream. The other hobbits watched, fascinated, as he continued. 'Waggons from Rohan, yes, I can see that. It would take about a month, I think, now that the King's had the road repaired. But ships?' Merry said.

'Merry,' Pippin breathed.

Merry continued. 'Do you think they could make it up the Brandywine, Frodo? Or would it be better for them to sail along the coast to the Havens and bring the grain overland from there?' He nodded in his sleep.

'Ship grain,' Pippin repeated. 'Is it possible?'

Merry said, 'Well yes, Frodo, but a messenger would have to be sent out right away. The King was to have left Bree today. We do not know when the winter storms will start, that might prevent the grain coming by ship, and ships can carry much more than waggons.' He closed his eyes again, turned his head on the pillow, and sighed. His voice dropped back to a murmur that they had to strain to hear. 'Thanks, Frodo,' he said. 'I knew you could help.' He nodded again, then said, 'Of course I'll greet Sam for you. Why don't you stay a little longer? I'm sure he'd like to see you himself.'

Berilac raised his voice. 'Doderas!'

Doderas came immediately from the other room, Elberic hovering behind him. 'You were listening?' the steward said. The lads nodded. 'Tell Merimas we're sending a fast party to Bree, to take an urgent message. Elberic will have it written out by the time the ponies are saddled.'

'Right,' Doderas said, and left the room at a run.

'Elberic, you know what to write, I think,' Berilac said. 'Bring the message by here, the Thain will seal it.' The lad nodded and was off. 'Good lads,' Berilac said. 'They'll be running the Shire someday. If there is a Shire...'

***

*Author's Note: See "Flames", chapter 14, for details of the incident Berilac is mentioning

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List