Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 42. One Steward to Another

The Thain sought out the steward of Buckland, who was still abed. 'You're lying in, I see. Living in the lap of luxury.'

'No one's come to get me yet,' Berilac said grumpily. 'I could starve to death waiting.'

'You haven't had breakfast yet?' Pippin, said, shocked.

'O, breakfast has come and gone, on a tray, how else did you think I got dressed?' the steward said. 'But if they happen to forget about me from this point on I might starve to death here in my room.'

'So what happens to you now?' Pippin asked.

'When they're done with whatever it is they do after breakfast, someone will come to get me, take me to the library and give me a book or sit me under a tree. I feel about as useless as an old boot.'

'Or a new boot, for that matter, in these parts,' Pippin laughed. 'You might as well be sitting behind a desk, doing something useful.'

'Don't I know it,' Berilac muttered. 'They've only let me out of bed at all in the past few days.'

Pippin looked keenly at him. 'Merry's overdoing, you know. Estella's worried about him.'

'He's looked tired the last few times I've seen him. But will he listen to me?'

'Hah. He never listened to me, either, when I was his steward, before the Tooks carried me off to become Thain. We stewards of Buckland have got to stick together.' He patted the other on the shoulder. 'I'll be back soon.'

'Don't you have an escort to be meeting?'

Pippin laughed. 'I'm a Prince of the Halflings. They'll wait.' He lowered his voice. 'Faramir and I are just aching for a good gallop along to the Bridge, won't we have a fine excuse if we leave late?' He nodded and repeated, 'I'll be right back.'

He came back with two younger Brandybuck cousins. 'All right, you lot, the steward needs to be taken to the Master's study and ensconced behind the Master's desk before the Master gets back.'

'Gets back?' Berilac asked as they lifted him.

Pippin said behind his hand, 'I've sent him on a little errand.' He looked sternly at the steward. 'Now, once you've got that chair, don't you give it up until he's had a long walk with his wife.' He turned the stern look on the Brandybuck cousins. 'And you come and get the steward first thing after breakfast, you hear? No more of this letting him loll about his bed half the day; he's got work to do!'

Pippin followed them down the corridor to the Master's study, and watched while Berilac was settled behind the desk. 'Comfy?' he said.

'No,' Berilac answered honestly. 'But then, nowhere is.'

'Might as well be useful whilst being uncomfortable, then.'

'You have a point,' the steward said.

'I've had a lot of practice,' the Thain answered. He glowered at the Brandybuck cousins. 'You, Doderas, is it? Bring the steward his second breakfast here in the study.' He turned to Berilac. 'How long do you want to stay?'

'Might as well spend the day,' Berilac said cheerfully.

'All right then.' Pippin turned back to the young cousins. 'Bring him elevenses and dinner here, then, and then take him out to a shady spot where he can watch the swimmers and bring him his tea there.'

Doderas nodded. Pippin turned to the other cousin, putting on his most "Thainly" manner. 'Elberic, I am making it your special purpose to plague the life out of the Steward of Buckland, stay by him, be his legs until he gets his own back. You and Doderas must be available to run errands for him and to take him wherever he needs to go. If you cannot for any reason, you must find someone to take your place. Do I make myself clear?'

'Yes, Sir,' the cousins nodded soberly.

'All right then. Go and get the steward his second breakfast now. And get something for yourselves, since you'll be dancing attendance on him the rest of the day.'

'Yes, Sir,' both said and went out.

Pippin smiled after them. 'They're good lads,' he said. 'I leave you in good hands.' He frowned again. 'But you need to be taking better care of the Master.'

Berilac shook his head. 'Nobody's told me anything since that bull took exception to my being in his pen.' He gave a frustrated sigh.

The Thain nodded. 'I know. They forget that your brain still works even though your legs don't.'

'I seem to recall you've had a bit of trouble that way yourself.'

'O aye,' Pippin sighed, then came back to the point at hand. 'Estella's worried.'

'I knew that much,' Berilac said.

Pippin was silent, weighing his words. He did not want to send the Hall into a frenzy. Driving Merry to distraction would be just as bad as letting him work himself to death. Finally he said slowly, 'Do you remember the fishing trip, the spring after we returned to the Shire from the War?'

'How can I forget?' Berilac said. 'We nearly starved that spring, and the Master...' his voice trailed off and his eyes widened. 'Merry... his heart?'

Pippin put up a calming hand. 'Now, take it easy, Berilac. Don't panic. Nothing has happened to Merry. And we are going to make sure nothing does happen. Do you take my meaning?'

Berilac nodded slowly. 'I am in complete agreement, Thain.'

'Well, now that I've given you legs to use until your own start working again -- and a plague on the Hall that nobody else thought of it! -- you ought to be able to get your hands back on the reins again. Let the Master do the walking and riding, he needs the fresh air. You stick to the desk until they've got you walking again, and then make him share the deskwork fairly. No hogging allowed.'

Berilac sketched a mock salute. 'Yes, Sir! You can count on me!'

'I know I can,' Pippin nodded. 'That's why I picked you to succeed me as steward. Well, I'm keeping an escort waiting. Hope to see you on your feet again when we get back from the Lake.'

Berilac returned the nod. 'Thanks,' he said.

'What are Thains for?' Pippin answered.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List