Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 16. A Raft of Letters

'Pony post again?' Estella said. 'That's three weeks in a row.' She ticked off on her fingers. 'The naming day news--such lovely names, Merigrin, wonder how they ever came up with that? And Forget-me-not; second, Meliloc's news, and now what?' she asked.

'We'll find out, I'm sure,' Merry said evenly, and his wife could tell he was still unsettled over Meliloc's news and hurt, even angered, at Pippin's silence.

The messenger was shown into the study and Merry greeted him, then asked, 'What time did you leave?'

'Just after elevenses,' the hobbit answered.

'Not quite teatime...' Merry said. 'Your time is improving.'

'Thank you, Sir,' the messenger said, handing over the saddlebags. 'We're finally getting those innkeepers trained to keep a pony ready to go.'

'Good,' the Master of Buckland said. 'we're paying them enough for it.' He fumbled with the strap, saying, 'Go on down to the kitchen, get a bite to eat, then check back with me for any messages going back.'

'Yes, Sir,' the messenger said, bowed, and left. Merry got the saddlebags open.

'Let's see... a note from the Thain, official seal and all, now aren't we fancy? Another from the Steward, and one from Diamond to you, Estella.'

'Lovely.' Estella came forward with a smile to receive her treasure, immediately seeking a comfortable chair to sit and devour the contents.

Merry sat down at his desk again, reading first Pippin's note, passing it to his steward Berilac, then opening and perusing Reginard's missive.

He laid down the second letter with a deliberateness that caught Estella's attention.

'What is it, beloved?' she asked. Berilac quietly picked up the second letter and began to read.

'Those Tooks,' he said. 'Those... obstinate, bullheaded, mulish, hardheaded... obstreperous, pigheaded, stiff-necked, headstrong,' he gathered steam as he continued, 'stubborn, unreasonable, inflexible, rigid, recalcitrant...' he ran out of suitable words,' ...Tooks!' He took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair.

'Feel better?' Estella asked softly.

'Yes!'

'You left off "intransigent" and "short-sighted",' Berilac said, laying down Reginard's note. 'Otherwise, I'd say you have them pegged.'

'What is it?' Estella asked.

'Pippin is the best Thain the Shire has had in years, and they want him to step down,' Merry said in frustration. 'What is wrong with these people?'

'They're Tooks,' Berilac said quietly. 'They lived too long under Thain Paladin, and Ferumbras before him, who was so rigid no lass would marry him, not even to be wife to the Thain of the Shire. You cannot blame them completely, cousin.'

'What exactly do those letters say?' Estella asked.

Merry picked up the Thain's letter again. 'Pippin has been approached by a delegation of Tooklanders. They've asked him to step down as Thain, in view of his ... infirmity ... and the likelihood that he will lose touch with the needs of Tookland. Of course, they didn't say it in so many words; they couched it in kind and thoughtful concern for him and his family "during this difficult time".'

'Hah,' was Berilac's comment.

'And does Reginard want him to step down? He'd be next in line to be tapped as Thain,' Estella said. 'Faramir's too young.'

'No,' Merry said slowly. 'He writes to ask the Master of Buckland to throw his support behind Thain Peregrin.'

'Does he offer any suggestions?' Estella asked.

'No, he leaves it to my discretion,' Merry answered. 'And almost as an afterthought, he invites us to the annual Tookland pony races on the First of June.'

'Did Pippin invite you?' Estella asked.

Merry gave her a pained look. 'No,' he said quietly. 'Don't you see, my love, if he asks me to come, it'll be seen as the younger cousin needing rescued by the older cousin once again. That would undermine his position even more.'

'Well, so he didn't write to ask you to come pull his chestnuts out of the fire,' Estella said. 'But you ought to know, Diamond also writes to invite us to the Smials for a visit, to see the twins. She says it would be nice if we came for the pony races and stayed through Lithe.'

'Nearly all of Tookland will be at the pony races,' Berilac said quietly. Merry tapped his fingers on the desk; the others sat in silence to let him think.

'Do you know, Estella,' he said at last, beginning to grin, 'I think you might write back to Diamond, taking her up on her kind offer, and tell her your husband will try to come if he can get the time away.'

'Certainly, my beloved,' Estella said obediently. 'I do hope that you can find the time. I understand the pony races will be quite exciting this year.'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List