Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Mathoms I  by Dreamflower

 
(AUTHOR’S NOTE: Merry is 11, Pippin is 3--or 7 and about 18-20 months in Man-years)


FIRST TIME, BUT NOT THE LAST…

“Pip, don’t embarrass me,” laughed Merry.

“Since when have I ever embarrassed you?” asked Pippin saucily, knowing very well he would be daring Merry to open the floodgates.

“Aha!” Merry leaned back his chair, and put his hands behind his head. “Let’s see--I guess the first time was when you were just a faunt*
_____________________________________

Merry sat with Pippin on the step in front of Brownlock’s dry goods store. His father and Uncle Paladin had gone inside to purchase some pipeweed, and their mothers and Pippin’s sisters had gone to the dressmakers, for Pearl was to have a new dress for the coming Lithedays celebration at the Great Smials.

He had taught the faunt at his side how to clap, which Pippin had taken to with enthusiasm, until his clapping was beginning to hurt Merry’s ears.

“Here, Pip,” he said, catching the little one’s hands. “let’s play peek-a-boo!” He grinned engagingly at his tiny cousin, who at first had pouted on having his clapping stopped. But Pippin’s green eyes grew wide, as Merry put his hands over his own eyes. This was a game his Pippin had always loved, and it usually made him crow with laughter.

Instead, he felt a movement at his side. He yanked his hands down to see that Pippin had moved quickly, and was a good ten feet away.

“Mer! New game! Can’t cats me!” he trilled, and took off running down the street.

Merry was for just an instant paralyzed with shock. He’d no idea that Pippin had learned to run so fast in just the few months since he’d last seen him. But he quickly jumped up to give chase. “Pippin! Stop! Come back!”

His answer was a squeal of laughter, as Pippin’s little cap flew from his head, and landed a few feet behind. Merry paused briefly to snatch it up in passing, only to see that the tiny delay had given his little cousin more of a lead.

“Cats me, Mer!” he squealed, and the next thing Merry knew, the little green weskit was flying through the air in his general direction. Again he paused. Aunt Tina would kill him if he let Pippin’s new clothes get lost. But then again, she’d kill him even worse if he let Pippin get lost.

As he hurried down the street, yelling for Pippin to stop, he suddenly realized that Pippin’s shirt and breeches were lying on the ground. Wondering *how* the lad had removed them, he paused once more to collect them. Then he glanced up to see Pippin far down the street, clad in only his nappy! His face flushed with embarrassment at the sound of laughter from the passers by.

He put on a burst of speed, as he saw Pippin pause briefly and give a little wriggle. Oh no!

Oh yes.

The nappy fell to the ground, and Pippin, completely unencumbered by a single stitch of clothing, continued his dash, laughing “Cats me, Mer!” once more.

Merry was beginning to feel a stitch in his side, but he gamely persevered.

Pippin was nearly even with The Leaping Hare, Tuckborough’s most popular inn--just as a hobbit was coming out.

Pippin collided with the hobbit, and landed on his bare little bottom with a thump. Merry put on a burst of speed, and as he drew near, realized just who his little cousin had run into.

It was Thain Ferumbras. He bent down and picked up Pippin, whose eyes widened in surprise, and held him out at arm’s length.

The Thain fixed Merry with a glare. “Here, young Brandybuck. I think you have lost something.”

Merry swallowed hard. His arms were full of Pippin’s clothes, but he rather awkwardly took Pippin from the older hobbit, his face burning with shame.

Pippin on the other hand, gave Merry a toothy grin. “Good game, Mer! He cats’d me!” and planted a smacky wet kiss on his favorite cousin’s cheek.
___________________________________
*From my story “A Conspiracy of Hobbits”, Chapter 19 http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterview.asp?sid=1707&cid=7340





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List