Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Mathoms I  by Dreamflower

(Written for hobbit_ficathon's "new beginnings" challenge) 

WARM WELCOME HOME

“It is good to see you once more, Master Baggins.”

“And I could say the same of you, Master Elrond. It is very good to be once more in the Last Homely House.”

“And how was your journey to Erebor and the Lonely Mountain?”

“Far less eventful than my first visit,” the hobbit chuckled. “It was very pleasant to go the whole way upon the same pony, with no side-trips through goblin-mines or up in the air with Eagles or down rivers atop barrels, and no dragon at the other end to singe my heels.”

The lord of Rivendell smiled at this description. “Have you given any further thought to my invitation?” he asked gently.

The elderly hobbit turned a bright and clever eye up to his host. “And are you so very sure that you wish to have a lowly hobbit take up space here indefinitely? I am afraid that you might find my presence a bit trying at times.”

“I think,” Elrond said, looking down at his guest with affection, “that we would find ourselves very honored to have a hobbit of such distinction make his retirement here in Rivendell.”

“I shan’t give up my pipe.”

“I would not expect you to. But I know that you will be courteous enough not to smoke indoors in any of the common areas.”

“Of course. Well, in that case, I should truly be glad of taking your offer of a home here, for I have always been very fond of Rivendell, ever since I first set foot here over fifty years ago. It’s a most remarkable and unforgettable place you know.”

“Very well then, I hope, Bilbo Baggins, that you will not take it amiss that I anticipated your answer, and have prepared a place for you? I have even placed there some of the items you left here for safekeeping on your way to Dale.”

Filled with amazement at this revelation that his stay had been foreseen, Bilbo followed his host down a wide and airy passageway. Elrond opened a door all the way at the end, and Bilbo stepped through.

He gazed about in astonishment. They were in a large, but not overly large, room with a cheery fire blazing on the hearth. An assortment of furniture was placed about the room, with seats of varying sizes, that would accommodate a hobbit or a Dwarf, or any Elf or Man who might visit. Beneath one of the wide windows overlooking the valley was placed a small desk of hobbit size.

“Bless me!” he exclaimed. “This is most remarkable!”

“In addition, there is a sleeping chamber through *that* door--” Elrond indicated a small round door at the opposite side of the room. “The bed and other furniture there are all of hobbit size. There is also a bathing room, and a very small kitchen.” He pointed to another door to the left of the room, opposite the window. “You are free to take your meals here or join us in the dining hall, as it please you, and we hope that you will honor us with your presence in the Hall of Fire in the evenings.”

“Oh my! Oh dear!” The old hobbit sniffed and reached for a pocket handkerchief. He blew his nose, and cleared his throat. “I did not imagine that you would go to such trouble for such an insignificant fellow as myself, Master Elrond.” He turned, suddenly and impulsively, and hugged his host about the knees, and then jumped back in dismay. “Oh, I am sorry for presuming! But I was quite overcome by your kindness!”

Elrond smiled down, and placed a hand comfortingly on the curly head. “Not at all, my dear friend, I am very glad to have you here, as I hope this may show. Now, I shall leave you to get acquainted with your new home, and I hope that we may expect you to dine with us this evening.” He gave a polite half bow, and went from the room.

Bilbo looked about him, seeing placed here and there a few of the cherished treasures he had brought away from Bag End, mostly things of sentimental import, and which he had left here for safekeeping when he had journeyed on to Dale. It was not Bag End, by any means, but it was cozy and welcoming and altogether homely.

“Oh, I do think I am going to *like* living in Rivendell!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List