Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

"...I wish I could see cool sunlight and green grass again!”
- Pippin at the Black Gate in The Return of the King, "The Black Gate Opens"


Cool Sunlight and Green Grass

It is not the first time that Pippin has been allowed out of bed, but it is the first time that he is being allowed outside, out of his tent and into the fresh air.

Aragorn is pleased to see Pippin healing so well and so quickly, though his right arm remains in its splint and the bandages are still wound tightly around his ribs. One of Merry's arms goes around his waist, and Aragorn's hand grips him beneath a shoulder. Together they help Pippin slide to the edge of the cot and stand, steadying him when he wobbles on his feet. For a few moments his ankle throbs fiercely, but the pain gradually subsides to a dull, nagging ache as Pippin slowly walks across the tent, supported on either side by his friends.

At the entrance to the tent the young guard assigned to the King holds open the flap and watches curiously as the small procession passes. Pippin smiles up at him in thanks, before turning his face aside, away from the bright glare of sunlight that he has grown unaccustomed to after spending so many days in the dim interior of the tent.

Bowing his head, Pippin studies his feet. They look small and pale against the vibrant green of the grass, and he shivers as a cool breeze rustles the leaves of the trees overhead. Merry's arm tightens reassuringly around his waist, and Pippin takes a deep breath of the fresh, fragrant Ithilien air, and looks up.

The sky had been filled with smoke and ash at the Black Gate, but now it is clear and cloudless, bright and blue. Pippin finds it difficult to look away, and is dimly aware that they have stopped walking, that Aragorn is watching him in concern and Merry is calling his name in a low, urgent voice.

There is cool sunlight shining upon his face and soft green grass beneath his feet. Pippin takes another deep breath and the joy bubbling deep in his chest suddenly escapes in the sound of clear, delighted laughter.

Over his head Merry and Aragorn exchange a perplexed glance. "Pippin," Merry says, his voice wavering between amusement and worry. "Are you all right? Can you walk any further?"

"Oh, yes," Pippin says. He takes one step, and then another, and grins broadly. "Why Merry, I think I could run."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List