Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

It Takes a Took  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 14

Diamond lay awake for the longest time. She had a great deal of thinking to do, whether she wished to or no. She could not get the scene with Pippin and his cousin out of her mind.

There were some things that Lavender had seen and not spoken of, that Diamond could not interpret. And there were things that both of them had seen, and not spoken of, that Diamond understood only too well.

For the last few days, she had watched Merry care for Pippin. She had been impressed by his devoted protectiveness, and surprised by his efficiency in the sickroom. She knew from what she had been told by Pippin’s sisters that Merry was eight years older, and had often helped nurse his young cousin through various illnesses and mishaps.

Yet tonight she had watched Pippin display that same careful devotion to his older cousin. In spite of his own obvious pain and distress, he had focused on soothing Merry.

And both of them had been worried about Frodo Baggins.

Her mind kept skittering around the question that she really did not want to ask, because asking it would mean she was far more interested in Peregrin Took than she had any *right* to be--

But--

Still--

She could not keep her treacherous mind away from it.

If she were free to return his interest, where would her place in his heart be?

_____________________________________________

Sam was in the lower part of the front garden tidying up some of the leaves and other small debris left behind by the storm of a few days earlier. It was something he would have dealt with the next day, if they had not been in Tookland.

He heaved a weary sigh. He was tired this morning, after such a night as Mr. Frodo had. Mr. Frodo was still sleeping, but Sam hoped that he would be feeling better when he finally awakened.

He was startled by the sound of pony hooves, and looked up at the approaching rider. Another messenger? He hoped Mr. Pippin had not taken a turn for the worse. He walked apprehensively down to the gate.

“Mr. Samwise,” said the messenger, and he held out a sealed envelope.

Sam took it, and was surprised to see it was addressed not to Frodo, but to himself. He looked up at the messenger.

“I’m to wait and take back an answer, if you please.”

Sam nodded. “Go on up to the kitchen. My wife will give you a cup of tea and a bit of breakfast. I’ll read this, and give you an answer.”

“Thank you kindly, Mr. Sam.” He dismounted, and tethered the pony by the gate. Sam watched him absently, and then looked down at the message. With a worried frown, he opened it.

My dear Samwise Gamgee,

Sam recognized the Thain’s strong and elegant hand.

Last night, I am sorry to say, Meriadoc was suffering from some of those dark dreams of which I am sure you know all too well. He and Peregrin seemed convinced that all was not well with Frodo, and Pippin asked me to send to Bag End and inquire. I send the message to you for two reasons: I know that Merry and Pippin would rather I not worry Frodo on their account, and also, if Frodo is indeed unwell, then it would be you who could answer best.

I hope very much that they are wrong, but I have seen too much in the last year not to put some stock in their feelings.

Please give the messenger your reply.

Regards,

Paladin Took II, Thain

Poor Mr. Merry! It did not surprise Sam that this had happened. Mr. Merry had been wounded by that same evil creature who had hurt poor Mr. Frodo. And Mr. Merry worried and fretted about his cousin almost as much as Sam did--maybe more, because Sam was lucky enough to be with him, but Mr. Merry was not, and that made all the difference.

He walked up to Bag End, and went to the desk in the study to write his reply.

He thought carefully about what to say. Mr. Frodo would not be pleased to have everyone know his business, yet he knew that he would feel obliged to answer.

Dear Thain Paladin,

I guess I am that sorry to say that Mr. Merry was right. Mr. Frodo did have a bad turn last night, and was quite ill. But he is resting peaceably enough now, and I think that it has passed.

I hope that Mr. Merry is feeling better today as well. I am sure that Mr. Pippin had some of the kingsfoil to use for him, and that helps a lot.

I also hope that Mr. Pippin is still on the mend.

Please tell them that Mr. Frodo will be all right, and that me and Rosie will watch out for him, and not to worry too much. I would say not worry at all, but I know that is a useless thing to say to Mr. Merry.

I guess that I should show your letter to Mr. Frodo when he wakes up. I know it might fret him, but it would fret him worse if I don’t and he finds out later.

Tell Mr. Pippin and Mr. Merry hello from me and Rosie.

Yr. obedient servant,

S. Gamgee

Sam folded it up and sealed it, and took it to the messenger, who was just finishing up a plate of eggs and sausage.

_______________________________________________

Merry woke to find Pippin still sleeping soundly next to him. Easing himself away carefully in order to avoid waking him, he tended to his morning ablutions, and got dressed. He clearly remembered the night before, the events at Weathertop playing themselves out in his dreams just as they had happened the first time, except that he had known what was coming, and was helpless to prevent it. And when Frodo had screamed out on being stabbed, his own arm had gone cold, just as it had done at Pellenor.

What it all could mean, he didn’t know, but he was very worried about Frodo. Yet he could hardly leave Pippin and go to Bag End. He seemed to recall Pippin telling him that Uncle Paladin was sending a messenger. He sighed. He seldom dithered like this, but he really was unsure as to what to do. The last time he had felt like this was just before the Quest, when he truly thought he would have to leave Pippin behind in order to follow after Frodo. He was just so tired.

“Merry?” Pippin was awake. “Are you all right this morning?”

“I’m fine Pip.”

“Tell me another one, Merry. I know you too well.”

“Well, I am as fine as I’m likely to be after a night like last night. Does that satisfy you?” He was too weary to even put much irritation in his voice.

“No, of course it doesn’t.” Pippin scooted himself up on his elbows, wincing as his leg moved. “Merry, we have to talk. Between worrying about me, and worrying about Frodo, you are making yourself sick.”

Merry sat down with a thud. “I’m sorry, Pip. I don’t mean to make you worry about *me*!”

Pippin made a noise somewhere between a groan and a growl, of pure frustration. “Meriadoc Brandybuck! Listen to yourself!”

Merry stared at him for a moment, and then gave a little chuckle. “I do sound a bit ridiculous, don’t I?”

“Ridiculous does not even begin to describe it, my dear fellow! I cannot even begin to imagine that you could come to care any less for us, but you need to realize that we are not the only people in your world. Would it do any good if I should ask you to go home, for your own sake?”

Merry glared at him. “No,” he said flatly, a dangerous glint in his grey eyes.

“I didn’t think so.” Pippin sat up. “The only solution I can think of is for Mother to invite the Bolgers for a visit.”

Merry’s jaw dropped as he stared at Pippin, and then his face cleared into the biggest grin Pippin had seen on his cousin’s face since the accident happened.

_________________________________________

Frodo came into the kitchen, to see the messenger sitting there.

“Is something wrong? Did Pippin have a set back?”

Sam handed Frodo the Thain’s message. “I already wrote, Mr. Frodo, to say that yes, you had a turn last night, but you are better.”

Frodo shook his head. “Poor Merry! Well, I can set his mind at ease, at least.” He turned to the messenger. “If you can wait just a few more minutes, I will send a few lines to my cousin, Mr. Brandybuck.”

The messenger nodded, and Frodo went to the study, and penned a quick note to Merry. The messenger took it, and soon was off the way he had come.

As soon as he had gone, Frodo turned to Sam. “Whatever are we going to do about Merry? We can’t have him making himself sick over me!”

“I don’t see as how there’s much of anything we can do to help him, Mr. Frodo. It’s just ‘cause he loves you so much.” Sam knew exactly how Mr. Merry felt. He felt the same himself often enough, though he had his Rose to see him through.

Rose turned from the dishes she was washing. “Begging your pardon, Mr. Frodo, but what Mr. Merry needs is Miss Estella.”

Frodo stared at her for a moment. Then he grabbed her by the shoulders and gave her a resounding kiss on the brow. “Rose you are a marvel! Sam, did you know you are married to a genius?”

Sam gave his wife a teasing grin. “Oh, I don’t know how smart she could be, Mr. Frodo, when she decided to marry the likes of me.”

Then he ducked the wet dishcloth that hurtled in his direction.

Frodo hurried off to write another letter.

_________________________________________________

Diamond was glad that her tasks this morning did not involve checking up on Pippin. After she had tossed and turned half the night, she had gone to sleep, only to have some very embarrassing dreams. She was not sure she could face him today without blushing.

She busied herself with taking inventory of the herbs and medicines, the task which she had been set that day, and tried to stop thinking of herself. She only wished she had someone she could confide in.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List