Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Letter  by Lily Dragonquill

From
Esmeralda Brandybuck
Brandy Hall
Buckland

To
Bilbo Baggins
Bag End
Hobbiton

Dear Bilbo,

It is now almost two months since you have taken Frodo with you to Hobbiton and I am missing the boy terribly. How does he fare? Are you getting along well? Do you give him enough to eat? You know, I don't want him to be all thin when I see him again at Yule. You will stick to your plan, won't you? You and Frodo will come at Yule? It would be our pleasure to have you here during the festivities. Especially Merry would be happy. He misses Frodo dearly and talks about nothing else than Frodo coming to Brandy Hall to play with him, or him getting to Bag End for a visit. I tried to talk him out of it and wait at least until Frodo has settled in and the two of you get used to living together, but he won't stop asking.

I hope Frodo behaves well. Let me tell you to not always trust these innocent eyes of his. He is up to mischief more often than you might guess. Only a week after the two of you left Farmer Maggot came by and told me that he had caught the boy taking mushrooms form his fields. Frodo has done so before and yet no-one in the Hall can be too angry with him. Farmer Maggot's mushrooms are just too big a temptation which no lad - and even some of the cheekier girls - could resist so far. Luckily there are no mushroom fields in Hobbiton so there is one trouble less to worry about.

Gilda bid me to send you the recipe of her hazelnut-cake. It is Frodo's favourite and I guess if she had time she would come to Hobbiton right away to bake it herself. You know, Frodo was her gem - like he was to all of us - and she can't help worrying about him although she knows that he is well with you.

I will also send a package to Hobbiton together with this letter. It is a gift from Merry for Frodo. I guess it contains some of his discoveries of the last weeks, yet I don't know for sure as he wouldn't tell me what he has packed. He says it is something only meant for his and Frodo's eyes and he insists on me writing down that you should not open the package either.

The entire Hall sends their greetings and best wishes to you and the boy - especially Frodo's aunts, uncles and younger cousins.

Please let us hear from you soon.

Lots of love to you both,
Esmeralda





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List