Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Dear Diary  by Lily Dragonquill

9. Solmath 1369



Dear Diary,


Afteryule has been a very busy and exhausting month. Frodo was ill. He developed a fever some days after we returned home from the festivities at Brandy Hall. Drogo and I were desperate, for his wailing cries broke both our hearts. Never before had he cried like that; not even from his worst colic. Frodo would not drink and refused to smile. When he was not crying, he would look at me with pitiful eyes begging me to help him. My heart ached to comfort him but I did not know what was wrong and he could not tell me. And yet his hands kept pulling his ears. I assumed they were what was causing the pain, but did not know how to ease him. I felt so terribly helpless.

Gilda came to have a look at my poor darling, but she could not do much more than I had already. She gave him some chamomile tea to bring down his fever and told me that Frodo had to wear a hood no matter how much he disliked it. She also advised me to put some cut onions into a handkerchief and place them on my darling’s ears under a bag of warm sand. The heat from the sand would intensify the healing vapour of the onions, or so she said. I was doubtful at first, but nevertheless gave it a try. The treatment did help a little, but Frodo was still quite miserable, which meant we continued to be quite miserable as well.

It was a full week before Frodo's pains began to ease. His pitiful cries had pulled on my nerves and exhausted me and I cannot tell you how happy I was to see him return to his formerly cheerful self. I hope he never has to go through anything like that again. I hope I never have to either. I never again want to feel that helpless.

Frodo has also started babbling lately. He is very eager to participate in any conversations that I have with Drogo or my visiting siblings and cousins. His sweet mouth is not exactly doing what he wants it to and yet I could listen to his first attempts at speech for hours.

Fortunately, he enjoys chatting and the attention he gets when he accidentally produces word-like sounds. I think he will be quite talkative one day. I wonder how long it will take him to say the word "mommy". Just the thought of him calling me that fills me with indescribable delight.

Primula Baggins, "Mommy"…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List