Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Purple Dress  by Avon

It has come – finally!  So slow has the sewing woman been that I feared it would not be ready in time.  Impatiently, I unfold the drab material she has swathed it in against the dust of the road and lift it out of the box.  The top shimmers and gleams in the sunlight flooding through the window, while the skirt falls in soft folds of the deepest of purples.  I spin around with it and watch the skirt fly out, as it will when I dance tonight.  Up and down the room I spin before, laughing breathlessly, I stop and hold it out once more.  It is perfect – from the glittering jewels scattered across the bodice to the sombre coloured velvet of the skirt.  Laughing once more, I bow to it then hug it to myself.  Old Nurse fusses at me – “Have done, my lady, you’ll crush it!”  – but I ignore her.

In this dress will I draw every eye - to take the colour of death and wear it, flaunting, to a celebration: here will I set a fashion.  The colour of deepest mourning they say of purple, but we will break with all those old shibboleths.  The old ones count their gold and draw up the plans for their graves – higher, bigger!  they order and debate which jewels they shall glorify them with: let them.  We will laugh at death and mock their old customs.  Tonight I dance in purple for I will not fear death: let the gods know that I defy them.

Nurse still clucks around and I throw the dress at her.  I watch her hang it up, laughing at the censorious looks she casts it.  She saves every coin we give her so she may have a glorious grave, and on her days off toils up to the temple with a young hen or rabbit to be sacrificed – fool!  It has not kept her from decay.  I remember her when I was but a babe and she was still smooth-skinned, plump and dark-haired.  Now she is old and creaks around on thin shanks, her hands mottled and creased, her hair dulled to grey.  Death drags her closer.

I do not fear death: I will not face it.  Nine and thirty days ago did Father sail with our mighty king to the Forbidden Lands.  There they will demand and take our right – the everlasting life of the Deathless.  None can withstand Ar-Pharazôn, for he is the King of Kings.  Soon they will return, triumphant and joyful.  Númenor will ring once more with trumpets and I will dance for Father in my purple dress.

The light grows dim – another of these stupid storms.  I call for candles and wake Nurse, who dozes, witless, by the fire.  Bring me my scent box, my powder, my jewels, the feathers for my hair, I tell her.  In front of the glass, I slip into my purple dress and curtsey to my reflection.  Tonight will I dance in deepest mourning.

******************************

AN:

*This is part 1 of a planned entry in the Three Colour Trilogy challenge at HASA.  Nrink mentioned that someone might like to set one story in the Silm, one in TH and one in LOTR – and I decided to take her up on that.  I also decided to give myself some other rules.  Each story has to be 500 words exactly and each will be written in a different POV.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List