Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Go to Sleep  by Pipfan

Pippin moved gingerly before the warm fire, setting the teakettle back on its hook with some difficulty, his wrinkled hands weakened with age. Night had fallen some time before, and for the first time in many years, he stared at the empty bed that waited for him, knowing that his Merry would not be there to comfort him that night.

Then he smiled, and Aragorn, gazing at his friend with worry, wondered at the strange, peaceful expression that crossed his face. How could this small one, who had just that morning lost his best friend of his lifetime, smile such a sweet grin?

“I do believe I am ready to sleep, Strider,” Pippin whispered, moving slowly on painful legs to the beckoning bed.

“Pippin,” Aragorn murmured, feeling his own pain at Merry’s loss once more like a knife to his heart. “Will you be all right alone tonight?”

Once more that strange smile graced the old hobbit’s lips, and he turned mischievous eyes to his King.

“I’ll be fine, Strider. I won’t be alone,” Pippin assured him, climbing unsteadily into the bed with his friend’s help. He patted the King’s hand, lying back with a satisfied groan.

For a moment Aragorn looked down at his beloved knight and dear comrade, then smiled sadly. Bending down, he placed a tender kiss to the wrinkled brow.

“Good night, old friend. Sleep well,” he murmured, allowing his gaze to linger for a bit longer before he doused the candle and left the room, knowing that by the morning, his friend would have followed his Merry once more.

Pippin sighed as he felt himself drift off to slumber, feeling tender fingers that had held him and steadied him throughout his life gently take his hand, leading him to a place of emerald green hills and white shores.

Off in the distance, a figure strode toward them, smiling and laughing as two hobbit voices floated to his ears, the end of a long day apart finally behind them.

“I knew you wouldn’t leave me behind,” Pippin whispered into his cousin’s ear, and was rewarded by Merry’s sweet smile and warm embrace.

“How could I leave my heart behind?” Merry asked softly, and the two of them ran towards their beloved friend, smiling and clasping hands, knowing they would never have to let go again.

 




<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List