Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

With Hope  by AfterEver

2981

*******

"Those baked delectables your son so coveted in his youth, what did he call them... ah, apples in blankets! With rice cream."

"What!" Gilraen arched over the taller Elf's shoulder for a better view. She could see the riders approaching well enough, but from such distance, one dark-haired and fair-faced Elvish form seemed much the same as another. If indeed Arwen rode among them, Gilraen had lost the wager, and now would be obliged to cook according to Telmoth's desire.

Yet not easily would she abandon her own reward, to receive more exotic ingredients from the Grey Havens, courtesy of the voyages of Círdan's folk and of Telmoth's conveyance.

"I do not see the Lady," she insisted, though even so doing, thought disappointedly that she did at last.

"Nonetheless, I do. She has a thoughtful look. And riding up beside her, Elladan, trying as usual not to beam at his happy home. And asleep probably since across the Ford, Elrohir sits at her other side. And having joined them at the bridge, Glorfindel follows close behind, with Nimros, and--"

"Red apples, or green?" Gilraen focused her ire upon the deceptive absence of banners or flowers or even Elrond himself.

"Let no chef of mine suffer any restrictions of the sort!"

Gilraen returned the Elf's bow, and her sarcasm. "You are too kind." They continued their wait in silence, until the courtyard came alive with bustle and talk at the travelers' entrance. No sooner had they dismounted than some Elves of Elrond's household departed with one steed following at each hand, headed for the stables, while others made it their business to receive the two-legged guests.

Elladan and Elrohir were habitually succinct at this, returning so often exhausted from their exploits or eager to see their father at once; but Gilraen noticed Arwen too said little, and wondered why that should be. Though Telmoth named her look thoughtful, Gilraen would sooner say nervous. The Lady was adorned all in grey, and no jewels were visible upon her. Even as they had ridden, still she kept hooded and between her brothers: also grey-clad and indistinguishable. Some time ago, Gilraen wondered aloud why the twins ever rode with matching gear, even their steeds as identical as possible.

"Confusion can be a mighty weapon against your enemies," Elrond had answered. "And upon the field of battle, twin combatants, like those who wield blade in either hand, are regarded as a force to reckon with." Spoken as one who knew, but loremasters know so much, and Gilraen wanted no details.

Now she could not help eyeing the gap of the cloak Arwen fidgeted within; once contented that no sword hung at the Lady's side, Gilraen could comfortably appreciate the brethren their fighting tactics and their sister her simple camouflage.

The gathering dispersed as the travelers' effects were taken inside and those arrived went seeking rest or refreshment. Then as if hearing the same sound or thought, Elrond's children turned and came her way. They exchanged pleasantries and Telmoth had already begun to press the brethren for gossip when Arwen drew back her hood with gloved hands. She produced an envelope from a pouch at her side, and presented it to Gilraen.

It looked twice as though she almost spoke; when her words did come, they were halting. "I am reminded-- here. From your son, good lady." Gilraen thought she might say more on the subject; her eyes, at least, spoke of the desire to do so. Instead, she took Gilraen's free hand and raised it with a belated smile, saying quick and hushed, "We must meet later, us two alone," then louder, "For now, I take my leave of you all. Until we dine together this eve, good day."

Before Gilraen could respond, Arwen's handmaids came and escorted her away. At the same time, Telmoth excused them from the company of Elrond's sons. Gilraen followed her lead, not only because she had taken one wrist captive.

"Delayed any longer and they would have grown cross with us," said Telmoth, once out of hearing range. Inside, they stopped aside a window. The Elf frowned at the courtyard beyond, her arms crossed.

"Alas though, I had Elrohir nigh to confessing. He will resign to keep silent on the matter ere I get to him again. That missive had best prove remarkable indeed, whatever it reminded Arwen of." Telmoth pointed with her chin to the envelope still unopened in Gilraen's hand. "At least more noteworthy than whether or not our own Nimros shall have the Lothlórien bride of his asking."

Gilraen regarded the thing she held with newfound dread. "Estel my son, what have you done..."

***

Telmoth would have every available type of apple or pear from which to choose, all baked in pastry and ready for a bath of spiced rice cream.

From a bench where she rested outside, Gilraen admitted to herself she had toiled in the kitchens far longer than need be. It would be time for supper soon; she had barely finished her own task and not yet thought up another before the kitchen staff reclaimed their territory.

"Well! Desert has been decided for us, I see." One Elf stood balking at the sum of Gilraen's confections as another bemoaned the lost workspace while another saw her to the nearest exit with a breathless "Good day!"

She sat alone ever since, staring at her lap where Aragorn's letter lay unfolded. Since that morning, she had reread it so many times that by now her memory recited the words without leave.

'My dear mother,

'The folk of these Woods tell me you are well and content, living still in that fair house of my youth. I only hope time itself does not escape their reckoning, and this account holds true even now. My heart would be gladdened to know this letter finds you thus.

'As for me, I have traveled far and labored long, as to be expected. But of my deeds I bid you wait a while longer to hear in detail. Soon enough I will return, with plans of moving you by lavish stories as peace offering. Then may you forgive me my caution that I risked so few messages these past years.

'You can see that caution remains, though I will it less and try to make light. Yet if I must hold to old habits, even namelessly there is one thing I would have you know before all else. Be warned, it may surprise you.

'My word to him is broken. For here in this place, I met again she whom I first loved, whom I loved solely all the years after, and lo, so too does she love me now. Together we have dwelt since our reunion. Until the end, come it bitter or sweet, she has chosen to remain with me. We plighted troth under a Midsummer moon.

'This matter is difficult. I imagine you wedged midway and feel that I have put you there unfairly. It grieves me every day. When I come, I will endeavor to make better what I can. Meanwhile, find comfort however you might, be it in company, silence, or counsel. Just as I would not keep such a secret from you, nor could I ask you to do the same. Neither hesitate to leave the time and manner of this revelation to my beloved's discretion, if you rather. Maybe of us all, she knows her father best.

'Finally, take to your heart this reminder of my love that is with you always. Until we next meet.'

The last sliver of sun sank below the walls of the vale. Gilraen stood now before sealed doors, engraved with runes writ in copper. She remembered seeing them for the first time, so many years ago. They made no sense to her then, either.

"What is that you have there, lady?"

In the growing darkness of her thoughts and surroundings, she had failed to notice that anyone stood nearby. From the corner, four eyes shone at her, as if one wall were a mirror and one pair a reflection.

A second voice similar to the first said, "Father is with company just now. If you please, I would save you the trouble of returning later."

Realizing she held it aloft like some guest on tour, she folded the letter and tucked it away. "I have no delivery for him, thank you." She peered into the gloom, where one set of eyes disappeared under a bowing head. "Regardless, I must return. How long?"

Elladan left his shadow to turn alight the lamps hung at either door side. Able to see better, Gilraen noted the twins wore grey again, albeit clean and dissimilar. She would guess they had not rested, or too little; Elrohir leaned full against the wall, and his brother moved listlessly.

His task complete, Elladan turned towards his twin before turning towards Gilraen to answer for him. "Return no sooner than tomorrow, I guess."

Gilraen blinked, taken aback. The Elf-man mistook her surprise, and shrugged, adding, "Arwen is home--" he stopped short. Whether he swayed or merely flinched, Gilraen grasped his arms without thought.

The true cause of shock faced her still: upon seeing Elladan up close, his appearance so haggard came unexpected, if not mysterious. "I know," she said. He eyed her, then glanced back at Elrohir who watched the floor. She nodded. "I know, Aragorn told me. I'm sorry. I-- I don't know what else to say."

Elrohir made a scoffing sound. "Say nothing. She would not have, if not for our persistence." He laid temple in palm and fell silent. Elladan went to stand beside him.

It was not lost upon Gilraen that neither invited her to remain, nor that she had likely interrupted their own conference. She resigned herself to the least desirable, if most courteous, option.

No sooner had she decided and made to depart than the doors creaked in motion behind her. Arwen had emerged. She stood looking diminished before the grand entrance, pale against the lamplight, and sorrowful, if firm. Almost Gilraen pitied her; almost she forgot who remained behind those closed doors. Then a gleam of metal caught Gilraen's eye, and the ring of Barahir upon the hand of Arwen kept her attention.

Elrohir pushed off from the wall. "What did he say?"

Arwen did not stir for some time. Her first response was to look the only direction in which no one stood. "Naught."

As though filled suddenly with the nervous energy his sister had restrained that morn, Elrohir paced passed Gilraen and back twice. He stopped before Arwen and himself seemed to shrink, bereft of all vigor.

To words maybe unspoken, Arwen said, "Hast thou then, Elrohir, madest thy choice to forsakest Arda with our father, that thou judgest me now? Elladan, hast thou chosen thus?"

Silence. At length, Arwen stepped away from the doors, and her brothers. The meal bells rang out. Reverting to the Common Tongue, she said to Gilraen, "If you sit with me, good lady, we may have chance to talk some over supper. However, I beg you to release me from my promise of earlier, our tryst alone. My desire for rest is such that I shall forego even the Hall of Fire this night."

Nothing appealed less to Gilraen than food. She thanked Arwen for the honor and promised to attend.

***


(Author's Note:

Since writing/updating again, I noticed a phenomenon with the page click counter that I'd never seen before: every other chapter has nearly double (or half) as many hits as the next. I'm afraid what's happening is that most readers are only opening the last chapter on the list every time I update. Problem is, I've been adding two chapters simultaneously for each update of late. Eep! So it would be worthwhile to check each chapter as of Part Three - Chapter Two just to make sure you've seen the whole story -- judging from the discrepancy in hits, half the people reading this will find some new material.

Thank you!)

-AE





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List