Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dabbles in Drabbles  by LKK

A Place to be a One

A vine curtain, reaching from bough to blade, encircles Elrohir's Secret Place. No others know of it, not even Elladan.

Elrohir comes to his Place when he tires of being a Twin, when he wants to be a One like other elflings are. His Place is small like him -- seven Troll-Elrohir steps side to side, twelve Troll-Elrohir steps from crawl-through to stone elf maid. Summer sun filters through the tree boughs and falls on the statue. She is warm to his touch.

Elrohir likes the stone elf maid; she reminds him of Nana. But Stone Nana is his alone -- a Nana he does not have to share, as a Twin must often do. Frequently, he brings fruit to eat or small toys or books to read. Time passes pleasantly for him as Stone Nana watches over her One elfling.

But Elrohir is not truly a One and eventually misses Elladan. He hugs Stone Nana goodbye while promising to return. Toys and books in hand, he crawls out, leaving behind Elrohir the One, and becomes again Elrohir the Twin.

 

A vine curtain, reaching from bough to blade, encircles Elladan's Secret Place. No others know of it, not even Elrohir.

7/2/2004

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N:  Like the vines, the word count is a bit overgrown.  This is actually a double drabble (200 words).  I wrote this as a response to Karri's Summer Challenge on the Fluffings Yahoo Group.  Karri asked for a description of a fluffling's favorite place or way to spend a lazy summer day.  I'm not sure it meets the challenge's requirements, but I hope you enjoyed it anyway.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List