Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 62

Frodo and his guests had taken tea, and gone outside to the garden, where Legolas could sit comfortably in the fresh air, and Frodo and Gimli could enjoy their pipes downwind of him. They talked a bit, but mostly sat and enjoyed the quiet afternoon. It was beginning to draw on to evening, and Frodo was beginning to think that his other guests were not going to arrive until the morrow, when he heard the sound of ponies approaching the front gate.

He got up and went down the path to the road, where he saw the four ponies approaching.

“Hullo,” he said mildly. “I was beginning to think you would not show up at all today.”

Merry dismounted. “We were delayed a bit getting started.”

Pippin laughed. “Delayed a bit? Is that what you call it? Frodo, we are late because *certain* lads just couldn’t bring themselves to finish saying their farewells to *certain* lasses.”

Merry and Freddy blushed, and Bergil giggled. Frodo looked at them with a raised eyebrow. “And how are the fair Angelica and the lovely Estella?”

Pippin snorted, and Freddy blushed even redder, but Merry just grinned and said “Both are just as fair and lovely as ever, if you care to know.”

By this time Bergil and Freddy had dismounted as well.

Bergil looked at Pippin. “Sir Pippin, should I take care of the ponies?”

Pippin looked over at him. “If you are volunteering because you want to, fine. But if you are volunteering because you think you ought to, then remember that you are not on duty right now.”

“No, really, Pippin. I do not mind. I like the ponies.” He did look eager, fresh-faced, his grey eyes shining.

Pippin nodded, and Bergil led them off. “Just come on into the smial when you are done, lad,” he called after him. He shook his head. “That child has too much of a sense of responsibility. I don’t think I stand a chance of turning him into a proper rascal.”

The others all laughed, and Merry said “Beregond would not thank you if you did, nor Targon either, I think.”

“Or Faramir,” said Frodo. “Aragorn on the other hand would probably lend you a hand at the task if you really are determined to take it on.”

Pippin heaved a great mock sigh. “No, I think it’s hopeless. He’s altogether too nice a lad to spoil, anyway. Pity. But at least he’s an honorary cousin now.”

Frodo led the way up the path, where Legolas and Gimli waited to greet their friends. They went into the smial. Frodo said, “We are not so crowded this time round. I think everyone can find his own usual guest room, though I know you want Bergil to room with you, Pip.”

Merry and Pippin looked at one another and rolled their eyes, but not where Frodo could see. They remembered sleeping on the floor the last time they came, and anticipated doing the same this time.

Merry reached his room first, and opened the door. “Oi! Frodo! You have been busy! Look in your room, Pip!”

Curious, Pippin opened his own door. “Frodo, that’s magnificent!” He tossed his pack down and ran to fling himself onto the large bed. “There’s plenty of room here!”

Frodo smiled. “Do you like them, cousins?”

“Of course we do!” said Merry, giving Frodo a firm hug. “You are the best host I know! How many hobbits would do this for the occasional guest?”

“It’s only beds. It’s not like I had to build a whole new room for you.”

Merry laughed. “As though you wouldn’t. You are very like Bilbo in that regard.”

“Yes. Well. It wasn’t needed this time.” He turned to see that Bergil had joined them. “Let’s go to the kitchen for supper. I’ve had a chicken and mushroom stew simmering all afternoon.”

Pippin grinned. “A hobbit after my own heart. Lead on to the food, cousin!”

__________________________________________________

Frodo and his guests sat up around the table far into the night. Fredegar was regaled with stories of the King, of his exploits as Strider and Aragorn, and of life in his court, and of life in the White City. Bergil at first took an enthusiastic part in the conversation, with his perspective as a life-long resident of Minas Tirith, but long before midnight he began to flag, and Pippin sent him on to bed. The rest continued to talk and reminisce for several more hours.

The result the next morning was that everyone except Legolas and Bergil slept in. Legolas, of course, was up to walk abroad and greet the Sun as she came up. Bergil rose a bit later, and quietly went to the kitchen and found some bread and fruit for his breakfast. He silently explored some of the smial, thinking of the tales he had heard. In Frodo’s study, he looked at some of the books there.

He found a book on Frodo’s desk, bound in red leather, and took a peek at it. Why, this was the story of Bilbo Baggins! He sat down, and was soon absorbed in reading. Time passed without his being aware of it, the only sounds being the ticking of the clock on the mantel, and the distant sounds of birds in the garden.

“Good morning, Bergil,” said Frodo. He stood at the door to his study with a bemused look.

Bergil jumped as though stung. “I-I’m sorry. It’s just so interesting. I didn’t mean--”

“You do not have to apologize, lad. It is an interesting story, and my Uncle Bilbo an engaging writer.” Frodo walked to the desk and looked over Bergil’s shoulder. “I see you are nearly halfway through my cousin’s part in the story. The next parts of the book are some of his translations of Elvish history, and there is an empty part after that, in which I am to write of our own adventures. I have barely begun that task, and it is not yet in condition to begin copying into the book.”

“Oh.” Bergil looked at Frodo. “I am puzzled about something, Master Frodo. You call Bilbo your uncle and yet also your cousin? Hobbit ways of reckoning family are very confusing to me.”

Frodo laughed. “You would not be the first one to say that. But in this case it is quite simple. Bilbo is my cousin--I won’t trouble you with degrees, I’m sure Pippin and Merry have done so enough to cause you complete confusion--” Bergil giggled at that and nodded. “so we’ll dispense with it. But often among hobbits, cousins of a younger generation will call cousins of an older generation ‘uncle’ or ‘aunt’ if they are especially close to them. I always did so with Bilbo, and with Merry’s parents as well.”

Bergil nodded. Now he understood.

“I do believe my lazy cousins and that Dwarf are going to sleep right through elevenses. Would you care to keep me company in the kitchen?”

So a few moments later, Frodo’s other guests began to wander into the kitchen to join him and Bergil for seedcake and tea.

Plans for the day were discussed. Freddy wanted to go down to the Cotton’s with the wedding gift. Bergil asked if he could please finish reading Bilbo’s story. Gimli planned to go in search of his Elf.

“Merry, Pippin, I have a brief errand in town this afternoon, and I would like for you to come with me, if you could.”

The two looked at one another and nodded.

_________________________________________________

Later, as Frodo walked toward Hobbiton with Merry and Pippin, he explained where they were going.

“I have had a new will made. I would like you to be one of the witnesses, Merry. The lawyer is providing the others. And though you cannot yet sign as a witness, Pip, I’d like you there as well. In future years it may be important. You see, I am making Sam my heir.”

Merry grinned. “Frodo, that’s wonderful! But is it allowed? Doesn’t your heir have to be a Baggins?”

“It’s allowed, since there are not any younger Bagginses,” Frodo said, briefly.

“Ah.” Merry did not want to go into that subject any further. It was too painful for all of them.

Pippin had been completely quiet since Frodo had told them what he was doing. “Frodo,” he finally said, “I have a confession to make.”

“What on earth have you done, Pip?” asked Frodo, puzzled.

“I saw your old will. When we were helping to pack up Bag End for the move to Crickhollow. I was snooping.”

Frodo stopped walking and stared at Pippin, wondering what had possessed him. Pippin blushed uncomfortably. Merry looked at him reproachfully.

Pippin looked over at Merry. “It was when you were still trying to keep me in the dark about things, and I was so afraid that you would slip away without me. I was trying to find out anything that might help me keep up with you both.”

Merry looked puzzled now. Frodo just nodded at Pippin. “Go on,” he said.

“Merry, he left everything to us!”

Now Merry looked over at Frodo, stunned. “Why would you do that?”

Frodo shook his head ruefully. “Who else would I have had to leave it to? I didn’t know you were plotting to come with me, and I did not possess Bag End at the time.” He looked at Pippin again. “What did you think of that?”

Pippin’s green eyes filled with tears. He shook his head to clear it. He had not realized he was still so upset by it after over two years. “If you want to know the truth, it scared the daylights out of me. All I could think of was that you would go and leave me behind, with nothing to console me but some moldy old money. I think I would rather have died myself than to have it.”

“Oh, Peregrin!” Frodo’s tone was a mixture of fondness, exasperation and sorrow.

“Well,” said Merry, “it’s over and done with. I can’t say that I would have been very pleased with such an inheritance either, but none of it happened, and we went with you anyway. I don’t think Sam will like it much either, but hopefully it will be years and years before there’s any need to worry about it. Come on, let’s get to old Grubb’s and get it over with."

________________________________________________________

Fredegar was just leaving the Cotton’s after dropping off the gift from himself and his sister. It had not been very imaginative--just a teapot painted with roses, that Estella had found in a shop in Tuckborough--but Sam and Rose had seemed very pleased with it.

“Captain Freddy!”

Freddy turned. “Hullo, Jolly! It’s good to see you.”

“Could I have a word with you, sir?” The young Cotton walked up alongside him.

“Why certainly. What is it?”

“Captain Freddy, is it true that there is room for one or two more in the group going South?” Jolly looked at him hopefully.

“Jolly Cotton! Are you saying that you want to go?”

“Yes, sir, I am. I think I would like to see these fine places that Sam’s been to, and being as you are going, I think I would feel safe. Would you be willing for me to go?”

“Oh, Jolly, I would be most glad of your company! And the assembly only said that anyone else should not be a Bucklander. I am going to be put in charge, so I think that I may have some say-so. But I’ll need to send a message to Paladin and Saradoc about it. If they agree, and your family does not object, you’re in.”

Jolly’s face lit up. “I’ve already spoken to Tom about it, since if I went, I’d miss his wedding. He thinks it’s a grand idea for me. I will talk to my old Dad today!”

“Well, then, send word to Bag End of his answer.”

__________________________________________________

Merimac Brandybuck rode up to Brandy Hall. He had left from Tuckborough as soon as the assembly was ended. Saradoc and Esmeralda were staying on there until the Men left, but if Berilac was to go with the delegation then someone else had to be there to watch over Buckland.

“Da!” exclaimed Berilac, running out to greet him.

“Hullo, son! Did you get the message?”

“I am already packed. As soon as I have reported to you on the state of things here, I will take the Ferry and head for Tuckborough.”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List