Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 40

In the ballroom below, a few hobbits had noticed the stir on the landing, and looked up, but most had not yet stopped socializing.

Suddenly, a clear boyish treble rang out, and amplified by the huge space, the words of the song floated down to the amazed crowd:

Long live the Halflings! Praise them with great praise!

Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar’ni Pheriainnath!

Praise them with great praise, Frodo and Samwise!

Daur a Berhael, Conin en Annûn! Eglerio!

Praise them!

Eglerio!

A laita te, laita te! Andave laituvalmet!

Praise them!

Praise them! The Ring-bearers, praise them with great praise!*

It riveted their attention, as it was meant to do though they did not understand all the words. When he finished, and the last notes floated down into the silence, Bergil stepped back, took the basket of scrolls from Reginard, and gave him the first one.

In a strong and ringing voice he read out:

“Ladies and gentlehobbits, we have gathered here to welcome the embassy of our King, Elessar Telcontar, High King of Gondor and Arnor, and Commander of the West, descended of old from Elendil and Isildur.”

The companies entered: four Guardsmen of the White Tower, three warriors of the Riddermark; Borondir bearing the sable and argent standard of Gondor; Anwynd, the running horse of Rohan. They arrayed themselves on either side of the landing; Rohirrim on the left, Gondorians on the right, an obvious honor guard.

Behind them, Frodo took a deep breath. He could do this. He had done it before. These titles were bestowed on him in love by Aragorn and by Gandalf. They had never been intended to cause him pain. It was his own fault if they did. He could do this. He could. He felt Sam reach out and squeeze his shoulder. This will help Sam. He could do this.

He stepped forward as Reginard began to read, neither knowing nor caring how pale and beautiful he appeared to the upturned faces below.

“Frodo Baggins the Belovéd; Ringbearer; Heir to Bilbo the Ring-finder; Bronwe arthan Harthad, Endurance beyond Hope**; who journeyed to the Black Land, and by his mercy cast down the Dark Lord Sauron and saved the world; Frodo of the Nine Walkers; Elf-friend; and Deputy Mayor of the Shire.”  

Frodo let the words roll away from him, listening but not listening, hearing but not hearing. Reggie came to a stop, and Frodo made his silent way down the staircase, to stand still and cold as marble at the bottom.

Bergil handed Reginard the next scroll. And now Frodo did listen, and a smile warmed his cold face as he looked up.

“Samwise Gamgee the Stout-Hearted; Ringbearer; Companion of Frodo the Belovéd;Harthad Uluithiad, Hope Unquenchable**; who with Frodo journeyed to the Black Land and by his courage helped to cast down the Dark Lord Sauron; Samwise of the Nine Walkers, Spider’s Bane and Elf-friend.”

Sam stood there, resplendent in his wine-colored velvet, and Rosie on his arm, eyes only on her.

“ and Miss Rose Cotton, betrothed of Samwise Gamgee the Stout-Hearted.”

And they too made their slow way down the staircase, Frodo beaming at them proudly. *This* was why he had agreed to do this, to see his Sam established in honor. Whatever else came of this in the future, the Shire had seen for once that Sam was more than just a gardener.

Hobbits who had watched in stunned silence as Frodo had been introduced before the Thain, and by all those incomprehensible titles, began to murmur as Sam was announced. A *gardener* before the Thain? What was going on?

Pearl was observing the reactions around her carefully; her parents would want to know. Uncle Clodio looked decidedly green. She saw Merimac Brandybuck, who had traveled separately from his brother and was staying at the inn in town. Since he would be acting as speaker for the Brandybucks he had to maintain his distance. He looked amused, and when he saw her watching, he tipped her a wink.

Sam and Rose now stood beside Frodo, and Reginard’s voice rang out once again.

“Prince Legolas Thranduilion, Ernil i Lasgalen, Prince of Greenwood; Lord of Ithilien; Legolas of the Nine Walkers, and of the Three Hunters; Warrior of Helm’s Deep; Warrior of the Pellenor; Warrior of the Morannon.”  

There was a collective gasp from the assembled hobbits. For many it was the first glimpse of the Elf. He was a Prince? And he had been announced *third*? And what was all that business about Nine Walkers?

Legolas glided down the stairs, and positioned himself behind Sam and Rose. His tall fair form faintly glowing, he seemed as though he were an otherworldly protector of the three hobbits who stood before him.

“Sir Peregrin Took, Knight of Gondor; Kinsman of Frodo the Belovéd; Peregrin of the Nine Walkers; Guard of the Citadel; Warrior of the Siege of Minas Tirith; Warrior of the Morannon; Trollsbane; Heir to Paladin, the Thain of the Shire.”

As Pippin made his way down, some of the more astute hobbits were beginning to notice a pattern. Others were even more perplexed--why was he announced before his father?

Poppy Burrows nodded upwards as she said to her friend Lavender, “See what I mean? Almost obscenely healthy!”

Pervinca and Pimpernel squeezed one another’s hand and watched their baby brother descend the stairs with tears of pride.

“Sir Meriadoc Brandybuck, Holdwine of the Riddermark; Knight of Rohan; Kinsman of Frodo the Belovéd; Meriadoc of the Nine Walkers; Warrior of the Pellenor; Nazgûlbane; Heir to Saradoc, the Master of Buckland.”

Estella, standing with her brother and Marigold, looked up. Her heart was in her throat. He was magnificent. She flushed to remember that he had said he wished she could be there on his arm. Oh, how she wished it, too!

“Gimli son of Gloín, of the Lonely Mountain; Lord of Aglarond; Gimli of the Nine Walkers and of the Three Hunters; Lockbearer;Warrior of Helm's Deep; Warrior of the Pellenor; Warrior of the Morannon.”

As Gimli made his descent, a few of the older hobbits found themselves in mind of old Bilbo’s tales. One or two of them remarked “Gloín? Wasn’t that one of Bilbo’s Dwarves?”

“Paladin Took, the Took, Thain of the Shire, and his Lady, Eglantine Took.”

Paladin and Eglantine made their dignified way down the staircase, their observant eyes noting the startlement among the crowd at the brevity of their introduction. It was perfectly correct, and how they were always announced, but it sounded a bit stark after all the others. That was just the effect they needed.

“Saradoc Brandybuck, Master of Buckland, and Esmeralda Took Brandybuck, Mistress of Brandy Hall.”

Merry looked up at his parents as they descended, and felt a wave of love and affection. Would he and Estella be like them one day? If he could have a marriage as happy as his parents’, he would consider himself very blessed.

Merimac watched the other hobbits watching his brother. Speculation as to how the Brandybucks would take all this was written on many faces.

“Targon son of Cirion, Envoy of His Majesty Elessar Telcontar, High King of Gondor and Arnor; Guard of the Citadel; Captain of the Third Company of the Guard; Warrior of the Siege of Minas Tirith; Warrior of the Pellenor.”

Soon Targon reached the end of the staircase. The watching hobbits silent once more, many of them wondering what it meant to have Men among them again.

“Éothain Éodred’s son, Envoy of Éomer King of Rohan, his Kinsman and Commander of his éored. Warrior of Helm’s Deep; Warrior of the Pellenor; Warrior of the Morannon.“

The envoy of Rohan joined that of Gondor at the foot of the stairs. All the guests of honor had now been introduced. The four Travellers, Legolas and Gimli doffed their Elven cloaks, repinning the leaf brooches to their collars, something Legolas had come up with. They handed the cloaks to a waiting servant. Paladin looked up at Reginard and nodded.

“Our guests have now been honored. Let the Ball begin!”

Reggie handed the last scroll to Bergil, and the two of them, followed by the rest of the Men, now released of their duty, descended the stairs as well to join the festivities.

______________________________________________________

* From The Return of the King, Book 6, Chapter 4 “The Field of Cormallen”

** From The History of Middle-earth, Vol. IX “Sauron Defeated”

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List