Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 37

The following two days went much as had the day before, in a blur of activity meant to prepare for the Ball and for the assembly. Eglantine was as busy as she had ever been since the day Paladin became Thain, which meant all her kinswomen were equally busy. Unless she had already tapped them for a specific task the males kept out of her way.

____________________________________________________

Rosie and Sam had found a number of occasions to go walking in the gardens together, usually trailed by Pearl or Marigold; they discussed the wedding.

“Rosie, I think I have decided to ask Mr. Frodo to conduct the ceremony; he can do it, being as he’s acting as Mayor. I’d like him to stand up with me, too, but he can’t be in two places at once. I thought if you don’t mind, I’d like to ask Mr. Merry to stand up with me?”

“Sam, I think it would be splendid. And I’d like Mr. Frodo to marry us. He is kind of a very special hobbit, isn’t he? And if he marries us, then he’ll be blessing the both of us, if you know what I mean?”

Seeing as it was Marigold following them instead of Miss Pearl, Sam risked giving Rosie a brief hug. “I do know what you mean, my lass. Mr. Frodo is kind of a blessing all on his own.” He laughed. “Well, I’ll ask him then, and Mr. Merry, as soon as may be.”

Rosie hesitated, and then blushed. “Do you think maybe Mr. Pippin might sing a song for us?”

Sam laughed again. “Mr. Pippin? He’d take any excuse he could get to sing a song! But mind you, it had better be a fitting one, and not one of them he got up to in the taverns in the city.”

As the couple turned to go back to the Smials, Sam noticed a slight change in Rosie’s mood.

“Something troubling you, Rosie-lass?”

“Not troubling me, Sam,” she said, “more of a puzzlement, as you might say.” She touched the necklace, which had not left her since Sam put it on her. “The pretty box my necklace came in is lost, and I can’t think what I did with it.”

“Hmm,” said Sam, pursing his mouth, not happy at the turn his mind was taking. “Do you want I should tell Mr. Pippin?”

“Oh, no, please, Sam! If I find it after all, I’d feel like such a ninnyhammer!”

“Rose Cotton! Don’t you never, ever use that word to name yourself!”

Rose was startled. She’d never heard her Sam use that voice to her before. “Why Sam, your Gaffer says it all the time.”

He took her gently by the shoulders. “Rose, you are *not* a ninnyhammer. If you think it’s all right to say that about yourself because of my Gaffer, I may have to have some hard words for him.”

“Please don’t, Sam. I won’t say it again. And please don’t say nothing to Mr. Pippin about the box.”

Sam shook his head. “I won’t say nothing right now. But if you don’t find it by tomorrow I will. I don’t like the sound of this.”

Rose nodded. “All right, Sam.” Suddenly she realized what he was getting at, that it might not just be lost. That was frightening.
_______________________________________________

Opal gave a little shriek of frustration, and then guiltily shot her hand over her mouth. She flung down the little box on her bed, and flopped down by it herself. When she had been sent into the guest room with clean towels, she could not resist grabbing the box which she just *knew* contained that beautiful necklace--a necklace that was far too good for some jumped-up farmer’s daughter. It was a beautiful box, made of some kind of dark wood, with a seven pointed star of a lighter wood inlaid on the lid. But it was empty. The little wench must be wearing it all the time, more’s the pity.

“Opal! Opal!” She heard her sisters calling her name. Quickly she grabbed the box and hid it in the drawer where she kept her handkerchiefs.

________________________________________________

Pippin and Bergil were walking back towards the Smials from Tuckborough. Pippin had gone to town on his mother’s errand, and had engaged two very good bands for the Ball. She had told him not to worry about expense, and with two bands, they could spell one another. He had also given them the list his mother had made of some of the dances that she wished to be played, so that they could rehearse.

As they walked along, many of the hobbits who passed called out greetings to the Thain’s son, and bobbed their heads, giving curious looks to his tall, but obviously child-like, companion. Each time it happened, Bergil flushed. Pippin chuckled.

“It’s not funny, Pippin,” the lad said crossly.

“That’s not why I’m laughing, lad, I’m remembering.”

“What?”

“Well, now you know how I felt walking with you through Minas Tirith while everybody bowed to me and called me Ernil i Pheriannath.”

Bergil laughed now, too. “I never thought of that.”

“Well, I was the curiosity then, and you are the curiosity now. I would say turn about is fair, wouldn’t you.”

Just then they were accosted by two well-dressed gentlehobbits. “Peregrin,” said one, “may we have a word with you?”

“Certainly. Mr. Bracegirdle, Mr. Grubb. May I introduce my good friend Bergil son of Beregond, of Minas Tirith in Gondor? Bergil, these are friends of my father, Mr. Bracegirdle of Hardbottle, and Mr. Grubb of Pincup.”

Bergil gave them a polite bow. “Bergil son of Beregond at your service, sirs.”

They bowed back and repeated the formula. Dago Bracegirdle was none too happy to be exchanging pleasantries with an obvious child, but it wouldn’t do to upset the Thain’s son.

“Peregrin,” he started, “we understand that some of the assembly have already met with the Men. Is this entirely fair?”

“Mr. Bracegirdle, any who would care to are welcome to come and visit the encampment and speak with the envoys. My father, uncle and cousin are keeping nothing secret to do with King Elessar’s agreement. Please feel free to walk back with us, and I will be glad to introduce you to them.”

“I believe we will take you up on that, Peregrin.”

Bergil ducked his head to hide his disappointment. He and Pippin were doing just fine, and now these grown-ups had to come along. But he schooled his face. He was a representative of the King as well, and he knew his duty. He just didn’t have to like it.

__________________________________________________

“Mr. Freddy?”

“Yes, Sam?”

“I was wondering could you do me a mighty favor, to do with that Ball tomorrow night?”

“Certainly, if I possibly can.”

“Well, you see, I have to go in and be announced and everything, and Rosie, being my intended, she’ll be announced with me. But I’m wondering about Marigold. I can’t ask Mr. Frodo or Mr. Pippin or Mr. Merry, because they all have to be announced too. And with Marigold being betrothed and all, she needs to have someone as I can trust--”

“Oh Sam, I’d be delighted to look after your sister for you.”

“Well, thank you then.” Sam grinned. “But don’t go liking it too much, or Tom Cotton will have both our heads.”

Freddy laughed. “Well, that would never do, would it, Sam? Consider me warned!”

__________________________________________________

Legolas and Gimli had taken Arod, and gone for a ride to get away from all of the hectic preparations. They had ridden down the Green Hills and all the way to Woody End before turning back.

Gimli had not much to say. Legolas was in one of those moods brought on by the sea-longing. A brisk gallop back would help. Gimli set himself to concentrating on staying on the horse, and hoped his friend would be back to his usual self by the time they returned to their hosts.

__________________________________________________

Merry was at the Men’s encampment when the Bolger carriage rolled up. He greeted Odovocar and his family politely as they exited. “Hullo, Odovocar, Mistress Rosamunda, Estella.” He looked however, only at Estella. He hoped the grin he wore did not look too silly. She seemed pleased enough to see him.

“Good day, Meriadoc. We were hoping to see Fredegar.”

“The last I saw him he was with Sam in the south garden.” He didn’t miss the look of disapproval on Rosamunda’s face when she heard that. The idea of her Fredegar socializing with a gardener would not sit well with her.

Estella’s parents strolled in the direction of the south garden. She allowed them to get out of easy ear shot before she followed, escorted as she had hoped, by Merry.

“I’m sorry I missed you the other day. I had gone out shopping with a friend.”

“So am I. I had hoped to see you then. But I’m glad I’m seeing you now.” He hesitated. “Estella, I--” He broke off, not sure if he should say what was on his mind yet.

“What is it, Merry?”

“I’m sorry. I just wish we were already betrothed.” He suddenly blushed. He had not meant to blurt it out like that. She looked at him in surprise; she knew that was probably where their friendship was heading, but it was the first time the word had been spoken between them. She didn’t know what to say.

“It’s just, well, at the Ball, if we were betrothed, you could enter on my arm, like Rosie will with Sam--I wish that you could,” he finished a bit wistfully.

She stopped walking for a second, and looked up at him seriously. “Do you think that we will become betrothed?”

“I hope to, Estella. But it is still too soon.” He blushed. “I mean, my nights are too difficult sometimes; I don’t think I’m ready to share them with you.”

She had an idea of what he meant. She had heard her brother’s nightmares, and he had not faced nearly the horrors that the Travellers had.

Her mother had turned and looked back. They started to walk again. “It is all right, Merry. I can wait, knowing how you feel. And at the Ball, we can have many dances.”

“That’s a promise,” Merry said firmly. He laughed. She felt the same as he; all was right with the world.

_____________________________________________________

Clodio Banks and his sons were having drinks in the common room of The Leaping Hare when Dago Bracegirdle suddenly joined them, without so much as a by-your-leave.

“Banks, we’ve got a problem.”

“What is it?”

“I’ve just come from seeing those Men, and talking with them about the King’s agreement. He wants an accounting of all Lotho’s dealings with Sharkey, and the Took and young Baggins are going to be looking into it.”

Clodio went pale. “Well, we will have to see what we can do to keep it from being ratified, otherwise we will be in the soup.” He looked at his sons. “It’s time we headed to the Great Smials. You lads have an apology to make. And you had better make it good.”

___________________________________________________

Clodio, Clovis and Cado were ushered into the Thain’s study, where he stood with his wife and son. Paladin had never liked his brother-in-law, and the estrangement had been no hardship to him; but if Eglantine wished to end it, he would support her.

Clodio gave Clovis a little jab. The older son cleared his throat. “Erm--we uh, we’d like to apologize for what happened. We were young and foolish, but we should have known better than to egg you on like that Pippin.”

Pippin gave his trademark sunny smile. “I should have known better than to listen; at least it was a lesson I took to heart.” And this was true; he still liked his ale, but he had never again taken his drinking to that kind of dangerous level. He held out his hand, and they shook. But Eglantine’s expression remained blank.

Clodio remained in the study as his sons left. They breathed a sigh of relief as they shut the door behind them, and then jumped as they turned to see Merry, leaning against the wall across the passageway with a grim and frosty smile on his face.

“Remember me?” They both went pale, and Cado gave a squeak.

“Pippin has a very forgiving nature. I don’t. And I don’t trust you as far as I could throw you. Don’t give me a reason to do what I told you I would, understand?”

Now Clovis squeaked, and they both nodded their heads.

“Good.” Merry turned and walked off.

________________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List