Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 33

As they rode through Tuckborough, a crowd came out to watch, waving and calling, mostly cries of “Master Pippin!” and “Thain Paladin!” accompanied by cheers.

A few of those who had already arrived for the assembly were looking out from the windows of The Leaping Hare, which had rapidly filled up. The other two inns, neither as large or as popular were also getting an unusually large custom, and any latecomers were going to be hard put to it to find a place to stay.

Clodio Banks and his wife Beryl were watching the procession along with Dago Bracegirdle. “Look at it. Have you ever seen anything so ostentatious?” he asked.

“It may be showy, but those men look like they know what to do with those weapons. And look there--I could swear that’s an Elf with that Dwarf, there on the white horse riding next to Freddy Bolger.” Both men made faces. The Bolger lad had cost them dearly during the Troubles, but so far that was not common knowledge.

Ponto and Angelica Baggins were watching from the window of their room. Ponto was somewhat amazed at the size of the party. There were at least nine men--no eight men, one of those creatures was an Elf! And there was a Dwarf riding with it. Frodo rode ahead of it, alongside two comely lasses and his gardener Samwise Gamgee. He wondered who the lasses were. It wouldn’t do if Frodo had already cast his eye somewhere else. He had his heart set on his daughter re-establishing the Baggins line.

Angelica sighed. She recognized the lasses; those were Samwise’s sister and his betrothed, so no chance that Frodo had interest in either of them. If she recalled correctly, Sam’s sister was already betrothed. She had probably come along as chaperone to Sam and his intended. So no real obstacles visible to her father’s plan. A pity. She just didn’t have the heart to tell him ‘no’ when he started that talk about being the last of the Bagginses. Would Frodo make such an awful husband, really? After all, she was already fond of him. And she had to admit, he did look splendid, riding along like that. Keep it up, Angelica, she told herself, you may convince yourself yet.

Clovis and Cado were watching from the street with a few of their chums. This was the first time they had seen Pippin since his return from Outside, and they boggled. They had heard rumors that he and Merry had grown while they were gone, but it was not something they had believed, thinking it was just the exaggeration accompanying all the stories of how they had rid the Shire of ruffians. But it was certainly true. Those two were at least a head taller than the tallest hobbits either of them had ever seen; Pippin would certainly not be a target for their teasing anymore.

“Look at the armor, and the swords!” hissed Cado.

“I’m looking! I’m looking!” replied his brother. “What’s frightening is that they look as though they know what to do with them.”

The brothers felt more apprehensive than ever. If Pippin decided to hold their little jest against them still, if Merry decided to carry out his threats, there would not be a thing they could do to stop them. Maybe after ten years, and being gone, and all, they would forget about it. Except Aunt Eglantine never had. Nor had the Thain.

Amethyst, Garnet and Opal had slipped away from the Smials earlier in the day to avoid being called on for many of the various tasks Eglantine had been handing out right and left. Hyacinth would have been horrified to see her daughters standing there on the street gawking at the riders going by.

“Oh my stars!” said Amethyst. “Look what Cousin Pippin’s wearing around his neck!”

“That *must* be solid gold!” replied Opal.

“Look at the Elf!” breathed Garnet. “Have you ever seen anything so lovely? He’s incredible!” She heaved a sigh. Her sisters took a closer look at the Elf, and sighed themselves. What an exotic creature he was! Would they get to meet him?

_______________________________________________

Reginard was supervising the erection of the great pavilion where the assembly would meet on the east side of the assembly field across from the Great Smials. A large area on the west side of the field, closest to the Smials was being left for the King’s Men to set up their encampment. He had not seen Hyacinth since early that morning. She had been in rare form when she found out about the Gamgee lad coming as a guest. He hoped she was not giving Eglantine any headaches right now.

Actually, she was searching high and low for her daughters. Eglantine needed some help with some invitations she was sending, and if her daughters could help with that she might be able to find out who was coming and what the Thain’s wife was up to. Of course, it never occurred to her to volunteer to address the invitations herself.

It was almost time for luncheon. Eglantine was having a picnic spread in the assembly field, near where the encampment would be laid out; she expected the travellers to arrive in plenty of time to eat, and she was not wrong.

Soon they saw the tips of the banners appearing above the little rise in the road just north of the Smials, followed by all the riders. Tooks poured out from everywhere calling out and cheering. As the group stopped in front of the Smials gate, hobbits from the stables came running out to take care of the ponies. They looked a bit taken aback and fearful, though, at the sight of the horses. There were sounds of relief as Leodwald explained that the horses would be picketed near the encampment.

Eglantine and her daughters were waiting by the gate, with some of the other Tooks of the Smials ranged behind them. Reginard stood at her side.

The riders dismounted thankfully, and the Thain gave his wife a formal public embrace, while taking an instant to whisper “Later,” making her blush. But Pippin barely gave his father time to move away before he grabbed Eglantine by the waist, exclaiming “Mother!” as he swung her around in a fierce hug. He had not seen his mother since Yule and the sight of her had made him suddenly realize how much he had missed her.

There was a chance now for a brief greeting from the rest of the kin, Pearl, Merry, Esmerelda, Saradoc, Frodo and Fredegar, and then the Thain began introductions.

“My dear, you remember Samwise Gamgee? This is his sister, Miss Marigold Gamgee, and his betrothed, Miss Rose Cotton.” Both lasses curtsied briefly and blushed prettily as Eglantine took their hands. They are charming, she thought. It’s a good thing they are both betrothed, or they would certainly wreak havoc around here. She looked at Sam’s beaming face as he regarded his bride-to-be. She had not seen him since the return, and was struck by how much more confident and less diffident he seemed than the shy young gardener she had seen from time to time at Bag End.

Next Paladin drew forth Gimli. “This is Gimli, son of Gloín, who saved Peregrin’s life after his battle with the troll.”

Eglantine’s eyes filled with tears, and she gave the embarrassed Dwarf a brief embrace. “We can never repay you,” she whispered.

Gimli blushed beneath his beard. “Mistress Took, he was my comrade; there is no question of debt between us.”

Then it was Legolas’ turn to be introduced. He knelt down to take her hand as Paladin said “Here is Legolas Greenleaf, of Mirkwood, who was one of Peregrin’s companions on his journey.” They had agreed in advance not to mention his royal status in public yet.

She looked up into his eyes and blushed in spite of herself. My goodness, he was beautiful! “It is an honor to meet one of the Fair Folk,” she said.

His face held resigned amusement as he said “It is a great pleasure to meet the mother of my dear friend Pippin.” It was a shame that the hobbits were not more used to Elves, maybe if that were so, he would not be so impressive. At least Pippin’s mother was not tongue-tied.

Now the Thain introduced the envoys. “Eglantine, this is Targon son of Cirion, who represents King Elessar of Gondor, and Éothain Éodred’s son, who represents King Éomer of Rohan.”

Finally he introduced all the Men, finishing up with “And here is Bergil son of Beregond, who is Peregrin’s dear friend from Gondor.”

The lad looked a bit abashed, but took her hand nicely, and blushing said “I am really glad to meet the mother of my Sir Pippin.” He looked over to where Pippin was talking to his sisters, and she saw the gleam of hero-worship in his eyes. According to what she had been told in Paladin’s letters, the child was only eleven years old, and motherless as well. Poor thing, so far from home. But he had come all this way to be with her son, and her heart went out to him.

“I am glad to meet you as well, Bergil. Pippin has told us much about you. He said that you and your father helped to make him much less lonely while he was in your great stone city.” She smiled as he blushed with pleasure to be praised. He seemed like a sweet lad, very serious and polite.

Now that the formal introductions were made, there would be time for conversation. She signaled that it was time to set the luncheon out, and turned to speak to Fredegar. She gave him a brief embrace. “I heard about Folco,” she said, her eyes filling. “I was so sorry.”

Freddy felt his own tears begin, but he blinked them away, and took a deep breath. He would not let the grief overwhelm him right now. “Thank you, Eglantine. I know that you were really quite fond of him, too.”

Pippin looked over to see his mother talking to Freddy. Then he turned his attention to his sister Pimpernel, who seemed to have something she wished to tell him.

“Pip, I wanted you to be among the first to know--you’re going to be an uncle again.” She grinned.

He gave her a whoop of joy, and grabbed her in a hug. He almost started to swing her about as he had his mother, but stopped himself. “Sorry, Pimmie. I almost got carried away.”

She laughed. “I won’t break from being hugged, little brother.” Then she laughed again. “Listen at me. ‘Little’.” She looked up at the young giant who had come home to them.

“I’ll always be your ‘little brother’, Pimmie.”

Pervinca was talking to Rose and Marigold. They were sweet lasses, she thought, though a bit shy and overwhelmed by the company they had suddenly found themselves in. She noticed the way Rose’s eyes constantly sought out Sam, who was busy talking to Frodo and Merry. It made her think about her husband Tanto.* He had gone into town to greet his father and uncle who had arrived for the assembly.

The conversations were soon interrupted by a serving hobbit, ringing a large handbell, a signal that luncheon was ready. There was a general rush to the picnic site, and the food that was set out there.

The Men all exchanged amazed glances at one another at the rapidity with which the hobbits dropped everything for the meal. Legolas laughed and placed a hand on Targon’s shoulder. “Do not ever come between hobbits and food. You will assuredly be trampled.”

_________________________________________________

After luncheon, Pervinca escorted Rose and Marigold to their guest room. They were sharing a very nice room near the quarters of the Thain’s family; Eglantine had given instruction that one of her daughters was to to stick with the lasses like glue at all times, unless they were with Sam, Frodo, Merry or Pippin. Most especially they were to deflect Hyacinth and “the Jewelry” from saying anything unpleasant. Eglantine did not trust Hyacinth as far as she could throw her, and as for her daughters, she did not think they had enough intelligence to know what kind of trouble an unkind remark could land them in.

“Oh, Miss Pervinca! This is such a beautiful room.” Marigold had a hint of questioning in her praise. It was hard to believe that she and Rosie would be staying here.

There were two guest beds, with coverlets of pale yellow, all broidered with flowers and edged with lace. The curtains were gauzy, and blew in softly. A porcelain washbasin and ewer stood on a washstand, with towels embroidered to match the beds, and a dish of dainty smelling soaps. In one corner stood a large wardrobe of dark wood, with flowers painted on its doors. In another corner was a little desk and chair. Soft rugs lay on the stone floor next to each bed.

“Look at the view, Mari!” exclaimed Rosie, for the window had an excellent view of the south gardens. “Miss Pervinca, thank you.”

Pippin’s youngest sister smiled. “If you want to thank me, you can start by calling me Vinca.”

“Thank you--Vinca,” said Rosie shyly.

Marigold’s eyes widened. What would the Gaffer say if he heard her calling the daughter of the Thain by her nickname? It wouldn’t be at all proper. As soon as the thought entered her mind, it made her think of Sam, and Mr. Frodo’s challenge. And come to think of it, it wouldn’t be ‘proper’ to call someone something they didn’t want to be called, would it? She was going to have to give this some thought.

Just then there was a knock on the door. Vinca opened it, and there stood her sisters. Pearl was holding a darling little baby, not quite a year old yet.

“His Auntie Pearl is not good enough for him, dear, he wants his momma,” she said, handing little Largo over to Vinca as she entered the room. Pimmie came in also, and Rosie and Marigold could see two little ones peeking out behind her skirts.

“Come now, lasses, say ‘how do you do?’ to the nice ladies.” Four year old Flora looked up with wide eyes.

“How do-do,” she said with her finger in her mouth.

Alyssum, who was just barely two, and not even a faunt yet, let go of her mother’s skirt and promptly fell over. Pimmie laughed and scooped her younger daughter up into her arms.

“Oh, they are beautiful children!” exclaimed Rosie, bending over to put her hand on Flora’s chestnut curls and gazing into the huge green eyes. “She looks like her Uncle Pippin did when he was small!”

“Why thank you!” said Pimpernel. “I find that quite a compliment, although he certainly does not like to be reminded what a beautiful baby he was.” She turned to Pervinca. “Have you shown them the dresses yet?”

“Dresses?” asked Marigold.

“More importantly,” said Pearl, “have you told them about the ball?”

“Ball?” asked Rosie.

“Ball,” answered Pearl firmly.

Rosie and Marigold exchanged amazed looks.

______________________________________________

*The character of Tanto Hornblower was loaned to me by Lulleny, from her story "The Prodigal Took"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List