Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 8

Now Targon and Éothain introduced each of the Men by name. Merry and Pippin grinned at them--they knew all of them, some better than others, from the time they had spent among them in Minas Tirith and Edoras, both during and after the War. Frodo and Sam had also met them before, but only briefly and though they vaguely remembered some of them, they were glad to be introduced again.

After the introductions, Targon and Éothain gave a signal to Borondir and Danulf, who walked back to where the horses were waiting. For the first time the hobbits noticed the animals; Pippin realized with a slight shiver that there were not two but *three* ponies waiting there. Danulf led back two of the ponies, and Borondir led back the third one, along with a horse that was obviously a pack animal.

“Holdwine Meriadoc Saradoc’s son, these are as promised to you by Éomer King,” Éothain said. Danulf led forward the two ponies, one of them a white gelding, the other a pretty little grey mare. “These are Pybba, who was sired by your Stybba, and Hilde.” Then the Man of Rohan took from the pack animal a small chest, which he placed in Merry’s arms. He handed Merry a small key.

Though Merry’s face had lit up at the sight of the ponies, he now looked a bit apprehensive. For one thing, he had not realized that these gifts were to be given so publicly. He looked entreatingly at his father, who merely nodded, and then at Pippin, who shrugged sympathetically, but reached to help hold the chest, so that Merry could use the key. With a trembling hand, he unlocked it and lifted the lid. The glitter of silver could be seen by all, and there was a collective gasp from the assembled crowd. He closed it rather quickly and locked it back. He handed the chest to his father.

But now it was Pippin’s turn to look apprehensive. Targon smiled as Borondir led forward a beautiful little black pony. “This is Sable. He is not of Rohan, but is from the stables of Prince Imrahil in Dol Amroth.” Then Borondir lifted down another chest, similar to the one given to Merry, only slightly larger. Pippin’s eyes grew wide, and now it was Merry’s turn to hold the chest while Pippin turned the key and lifted the lid.

This chest, too, held the sheen of silver within. Yet on top, was also the gleam of gold. Pippin lifted up a chain forged of heavy golden links. From it hung a medallion. One side of the medallion was enameled with the sable and argent device of Gondor; on the other side was embossed the monogram of the Tooks. He held it up in awe, and there was another gasp from the crowd. Merry took it and proudly lifted it over his cousin’s head, to hang gleaming upon his breast.

Targon spoke again. “Sir Peregrin, His Majesty asked me to tell you that this year, your stipend as a retainer of his service is one hundred fifty silver pennies, this pony--a stallion of Dol Amroth, and this chain of Knighthood. Hereafter, your annual stipend shall be two hundred fifty silver pennies delivered each Spring on New Year’s Day.”

Pippin’s voice sounded a bit husky, but he rose to the occasion. “Please tell King Elessar that his generosity is most appreciated.”

Now Targon turned to Frodo and Sam. “Ringbearers, true to your expressed wishes, His Majesty refrained from sending any further reward other than to remind you once more of his undying gratitude. Know that at any time you may call upon him for anything at all, and it will be granted. However, Samwise Gamgee--” and here Targon took out a small box he had pocketed in his tunic “King Elessar and Queen Arwen hope that you will accept this small gift for your bride along with their felicitations on your upcoming marriage.”

Sam blushed, and stammered his thanks as he took the small box. Merry elbowed him lightly and Frodo gave him a smiling nod, so he opened it. There, on a delicate chain of mithril, was a tiny, perfectly formed golden rose. Tears sprang to his eyes, as he imagined his Rosie’s face when she saw this. Good old Strider and his beautiful queen--they’d make his Rosie so very happy.

Now Targon turned to Saradoc. “Master Brandybuck, there is more official business to be conducted; however, we think that we must wait for the arrival of the Thain. That does not look likely to occur today?”

“No,” replied Saradoc. “He has a further distance to come, although I am sure he will make all haste; he is unlikely to be here before late tomorrow.”

__________________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List