Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 72

The next morning was overcast. There would likely be a bit of a drizzle before the day was out, but those who were travelling over the Bridge hoped they would reach their destination ahead of the wet weather.

As the hobbits made an inroad on the breakfast provided by the Men, Poppy noticed that Fredegar Bolger had absented himself. She knew that he was a hobbit who liked his meals, most especially since he knew what it was to be deprived of them. Concerned, she sought him out.

“Mr. Bolger--” she began.

“Call me Freddy, please, Mistress Poppy. We are going to be travelling companions.”

“Very well, Freddy,” she said. “Are you well? I noticed that you are not eating breakfast.”

He blushed. “I *am* well. But if I should eat before we cross the Bridge, I very well might *not* be, if you understand me.”

“Ah.” Poppy had seen this a few times. Some hobbits could not endure the sight of the River.

“Before you make the offer, no, I do not wish to take a calming draught. As long as I don’t have anything to bring up, I won’t disgrace myself, and I can endure the fright if I have to.”

“No, I do not recommend a calming draught. But if you would not mind a bit of advice, I suggest that you still eat something light--perhaps a bit of dry toast, and I will give you some ginger and chamomile tea. It is not a calming draught, such as Mistress Lavender prescribed for you upon a time, but it will settle your stomach, and relax you a bit.”

Freddy sighed, and nodded. “Very well, Mistress Poppy.” It did sound like good advice, and if he put nothing at all in his stomach, he was afraid he would soon have a raging headache.

After breakfast, the Men got ready to break camp and mount up. As leader of the delegation of hobbits, Freddy asked Targon what they could do to help.

“I thank you, Master Fredegar, but today we shall do this ourselves. Once we have been on the road a bit, I am sure we will be making use of you to help when it comes to setting up and breaking camp. But we will wait until we have left the Shire.”

A short time later, the Bolger carriage came into view, with Paladin, Eglantine and Frodo trotting alongside. The Burrows also soon joined them, with Saradoc and Esmeralda.

Odovocar, Rosamunda and Estella exited the carriage. Frodo politely handed them all down, and was thanked by gracious bows of the head.

He smiled as he saw Freddy heading in their direction.

“Father, Mother, Estella.” He reached out and was given hugs by his family members. Estella clung to him a bit, sniffling. “I’m going to miss you, Fatty,” she said in a subdued voice.

He patted her on the head. “I’ll miss you too, kitten.” He took out his handkerchief and handed it to her, and then steered her in the direction of Merry, who had come up behind her.

Now it was his mother who was clinging to him. He was surprised at how fierce her grip was around his waist. “Fredegar, please keep safe. I wish that you would not do this,” she wept. It was disconcerting. Rosamunda was not generally demonstrative in her affection. He looked up at his father, who shrugged, looking more than a bit puzzled himself.

“Mother, you know that I need to do this. I need to get away from the Shire for a while. And I will be doing some good for our people.” He kissed the top of her head. “I’ll take every care. We have some good strong Men who will take care of us.”

“Oh, son! Be sure to eat well, and to stay warm. And stay with the Men you are familiar with--don’t go around strange ones! And don’t wear yourself out looking out for all these other hobbits!” She glared past him at some of the other members of the delegation, as though they were to blame for Fredegar’s departure. Mosco was engaged in his own farewells to his parents and siblings, and Poppy was looking on.

“Mother!” he exclaimed reproachfully, slightly amused. If it had been anyone but his own mother, he’d have been offended.

Odovocar drew his wife gently back, and she did not resist. He reached forward for one last hug before Freddy mounted.

“Take care, son. Write if you can.”

“Yes, Father. I will see you all in a year.”

He moved forward into the procession of ponies and horses. Berilac moved up to ride beside him, and the rest of the delegation fell in behind. Merry and Pippin at the front, this time acting as standard bearers for Rohan and Gondor, began to lead the group out along the Road. There was a chorus of cheers and farewells following them from the hobbits assembled to see them off.

The threatening clouds began to burn off as the morning progressed. They rode quietly once they had left sight of Frogmorton. The Men were feeling a bit sad at their departure of the Shire--they had enjoyed their time among the hobbits. The hobbits of the delegation were feeling nervous as they began to realize how soon they would be leaving all they knew. The prisoners were very subdued, feeling more and more fearful as the consequences of their actions were coming to pass.

Legolas and Gimli had moved Arod up to ride between Merry and Pippin, and so had Frodo ridden up to the front as well. This time they did not talk or banter, or reminisce about the Quest. They simply rode quietly, satisfied to be in one another’s company for a while longer. All of them were thinking of those friends who were *not* there: Boromir, Aragorn, Gandalf, Sam.

They soon passed through Whitfurrow, to a cheering crowd of hobbits lining the road on either side.

Fredegar wondered how many of those hobbits actually understood what the Men’s mission had been, or what their own mission would be as they left the Shire. Most of them, no doubt, were simply glad to see a spectacle. They remembered a few weeks earlier, when the Men had brought the gifts from the King, and some, no doubt had heard rumors of the weregild from Sharkey--no, Saruman, Freddy thought, he would have to get used to that other name.

Once Whitfurrow was behind them, Merry and Pippin picked up the pace a bit, and the hobbits following found they had to concentrate on their riding. Of course, the pace was still slow for the Men, whose horses were longer limbed.

It was drawing near to luncheon, and Fredegar was beginning to think that dry toast and tea would not hold him, when the Brandywine Bridge came in sight. The procession pulled up for a few moments, and Merry dropped back to speak to Targon. A few moments later the Gondorian envoy rode up to Fredegar.

“Master Fredegar, Sir Meriadoc has indicated that he would like you to ride at the front, alongside him.”

“Thank you.” Freddy had thought Merry forgot his promise; he should have known better. Merry never forgot anything, especially a promise.

They approached the Bridge, and he heard Merry murmur to him, “Steady, just look straight ahead.”

Freddy could hear the roar of the waters as they passed below, the clop clop of the horses and ponies; he could smell the water, feel the blood draining from his face; he took a deep breath and focused on the trees and the Road on the other side. His stomach gave a bit of a lurch, but he swallowed his bile, and kept moving.

“Good, good,” said Merry quietly. “We are almost to the other side. Take a deep breath.”

Freddy became aware that Pippin was on his other side, with Legolas and Gimli, and Frodo behind him. The sound of the hooves began to change from hollow to solid. They were across. He swayed very slightly, and took another deep breath. He felt the world settle around him.

He looked at Merry. “Thank you.”

“You did it.” Merry looked at him fondly. Freddy had a lot more courage than he ever gave himself credit for.

“Will it be like that every time I cross a river?” he asked a bit plaintively.

“It should get a bit easier over time. Of course, you’d forget all about your fear of the water if you had a bunch of Orcs chasing you across the Bridge,” he grinned.

Freddy gave a weak chuckle. “No thank you. That cure sounds worse than the malady.”

The procession angled off the Road to the north, right to the same spot that the Men had encamped at first. A large group of local hobbits had prepared a picnic luncheon, much as the hobbits of Frogmorton had done the day before.

Saradoc and Esmeralda dismounted, as did Merry and Berilac, going to greet Merimac, who waited there with a small contingent of hobbits from Brandy Hall. Bergil was delighted to see some of the friends he had made during his first visit, including Seredic and Celandine.

Targon came up to Freddy. “Master Fredegar,” he said, “we will take two hours for luncheon before departing.” For the group had decided not to camp another night on the borders of the Shire, but to continue their journey east until sunset. The Gondorian captain wished to reach Bree before the end of the week, in the hopes of catching the King’s Messenger there.

Everyone dismounted, glad for the break, and for the chance to eat. Mistress Poppy came over to check on Freddy.

“Seems like you did well there, lad,” she said. “If I had not already known about it, I would never have guessed your panic.” This was a slight exaggeration, but the stout little healer felt he deserved the praise for overcoming his fear.

Freddy grinned. “I’m well and truly hungry now,” he said, “and ready for a lot more than a bit of toast and tea!”

“I would imagine so!” She grinned at him.

The prisoners were removed from the horses and placed in the Bridge gatehouse, with Leodwald to see that they got a meal. Now that they had left the Shire, Targon had decided that it would be necessary to bind them, at least when they were not on horseback.

Freddy noticed that Berilac was looking a bit lost. He had managed to somewhat avoid his father and the Brandy Hall hobbits.

“What’s wrong, Beri?” Freddy was going to rely a lot on the Brandybuck, who had been made second in charge after him, and he wanted to make sure that there were no difficulties.

“Just trying to get up my nerve for saying ‘good-bye’,” he laughed ruefully. “It hadn’t hit me until we crossed the Bridge, that I am really leaving everyone behind. I’m not sure my father is happy with my going.”

“No parent would be. You saw the scene my mother made this morning. But spend some time with your family before we go; you’ll regret it if you don’t.”

“Thank you, Freddy, I guess I will.” He moved purposefully to the spot where Merimac was eating his lunch with Saradoc and Esmeralda.

Merry, Pippin and Frodo were spending a last bit of time with Legolas and Gimli. The mood was a bit melancholy, as they prepared to say good-by.

Frodo got up after a short while and wandered off a bit by himself. After a few minutes, Merry made to go after him, but Legolas stayed him. “Let me, please, Merry!” the Elf whispered.

Merry looked surprised, but nodded.

“Frodo,” said the Elf.

Frodo did not turn, but said, “How do you fight it, Legolas?”

“Everyday, I tell myself there are those from whom I will not be parted as long as they yet linger in Middle-earth.” He sighed. “I am the stubborn son of Thranduil. I will not let it conquer me.” He placed a hand on Frodo’s shoulder. “And how do you fight it?”

“I do not know. Arwen’s jewel has eased me of some of my troubles, but it is a constant reminder that it is possible the Shire is not for me. I do not want to believe that, but every time I have to use it to ease my terrors, the sea-longing returns.” He turned tear filled eyes up to the one Companion of the Fellowship who truly understood what he meant.

“I have no answers, Frodo; my own struggle is ultimately futile. But know that you are always in my thoughts and in my heart, and that I know with the blessing of the Valar, you will someday find your own answer.”

“Thank you, Legolas.” He turned to give the Elf a hug. Truly, it was so hard to say good-by, and he sensed that he would not be seeing Legolas again.

Merry looked over in concern. Something was eating at Frodo, more than just the pains and nightmares the Ring had bequeathed him. He’d not be able to dig it out of his cousin, and with a sigh, he realized that he’d not be able to dig it out of Legolas either. Perhaps he could puzzle it out on his own.

The time came all too soon when Targon gave the signal that it was time to leave. Suddenly the tears began to flow, and the good-byes grew a bit desperate.

Bergil clung to Pippin until the second he had to mount his pony. “Oh Sir Pippin, I’m going to miss you so!”

Pippin returned the hug, patting the lad’s back. “Keep in touch, my honorary cousin. Don’t forget that the King’s Messenger will be making regular trips to Bree.”

“Perhaps when I grow up, I can be such a Messenger. Then I will have a good excuse to see you every month.”

Pippin chuckled. “Perhaps. Off you go now, lad. Give my love and greetings to your father, and to Faramir and the King.”

Borondir and Anwynd took charge of the standards, and the procession began to move eastward down the Great Road, the hobbit members of the party turning often to wave at those they left behind.

The others stood, watching, until all were gone from sight, and then they moved on themselves, to Crickhollow and Brandy Hall and home.

_______________________________________________

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List