Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Flames  by Lindelea

The Thain's reaction was totally unexpected. Instead of cold anger or hot rage against the missing Ferdibrand, he sat silently nodding to himself for a moment, then began to smile. 'I dare say the lad is on the mend,' Paladin said finally.

'Sir?' Regi asked.

'For two years now, ever since the healers said they'd done all they could for him, he's moped about, hardly speaking to a soul. So he was no longer the finest archer in the Smials, he should bury himself on that account? He should have taken himself off months ago, found somewhat else to do with himself.' He nodded again. 'Well, we're well shut of him now, and best of luck to him. I hope he forges himself a fine new life out there in Woody End.'

'But he's a Took!' Regi protested.

'And a Took cannot live outside of Tookland?' the Thain snorted. 'Tell that to the Brandybucks, they've been doing it for centuries.' He would never admit that he was secretly glad to see Ferdibrand gone; seeing the lad every time he went in or out of the Smials was a reproach, a message to Paladin that he should have done more, though what more he might have done was beyond him.

'He said he'd be back in a month,' Regi reminded.

'I'll believe that when I see it,' Paladin said shrewdly. The only thing he knew of that kept the lad here was his fierce pride, and his duty to his father. Well, with a father like Ferdinand... he'd be cared for by the Tooks of the Great Smials, even if his son should never return. The Thain owed Ferdibrand that much, for all he'd done against the ruffians. No, Ferdi was better off forging himself a new life in a new place.

***

Rosemary arose early in the morning, shaping the bread she'd set to rise before retiring, setting it to bake for early breakfast. She sat down then, by her sleeping brother, with a cup of tea to await the delicious smell that would curl through the little dwelling and coax her family from their sleep.

As she sipped, she remembered the last time she'd seen Ferdi in these parts, for after the hanging, they had used the clothesline and the hollow tree for messages, and had not seen much of him after his recovery from his battle wounds, until the woodcarver's family travelled to Tuckborough for the pony races, the summer after the scouring of the Shire.

Hally had come home, axe over his shoulder, whistling a tune, calling out a greeting to the ruffian still lurking about the yard. The ruffian had sheepishly come out of hiding, to accept a cup of tea and a few biscuits.

'Did ye get any good trees, Hally?' the ruffian said.

Hally nodded, his own mouth full of biscuits, and washing them down with a swig of tea he said, 'I did, indeed, cut down two fine ones and left them to lie. They'll season nicely, I think. I cut another down, but it wasn't suitable, so I let some hobbits drag it away for firewood.'

Rosemary's stiffened shoulders relaxed and she allowed herself a small sigh of relief. 'Would you like another biscuit?' she asked.

'No, thanks,' the ruffian said gruffly. 'I am supposed to be keeping out of sight as it is. Many thanks, Rosie,' and he gulped the last of his tea and handed back the large mug Hally had specially carved for a ruffian's hand.

'You're welcome,' she murmured, taking the mug. The ruffian wiped his mouth with his sleeve and stepped back into the shadows behind the byre.

There was the sound of a hastily ridden pony approaching, and then one of their neighbors entered the yard, pulling the pony up short of reaching them. Hally put his hand on Rose's arm with a significant nod.

'Hullo, Ches!' he called. 'What's up?'

'We've illness at our house,' the other called back. 'Half the family's down with it... the wife cannot even lift her hand to cook. Can Rosie come?'

'What kind of illness?' Rose shouted. She could see the shadow of the ruffian, tense, listening.

'Seems as if the body's forgot how things work, keeps sending food up rather than down. Poor Missus said her insides was trying to make themselves outsides.'

'Are you sure you ought to go, Rose?' Hally said seriously.

'They need help,' Rosemary said firmly. Raising her voice, she said, 'I'll be right along!' Ches nodded and reined his pony around.

'Rose, I don't like you walking through the wood alone,' Hally said.

The ruffian stepped from the shadow of the byre. 'I'll escort you, Mistress Rose. No one will bother you, if they see me.'

She smiled gratefully. 'Thanks, One-Hand, I'd appreciate that.' She ducked into the house, coming out soon with a basket on her arm. 'I'm ready.'

They walked through the woods together, the ruffian politely shortening his steps to accommodate her. At the edge of the neighbor's clearing, he stopped. 'I ain't gonna go any further,' he said. 'Want my insides to stay put.' He gazed at her in concern. 'Are you sure you oughta go in there?'

'Neighbors are obliged to help neighbors,' Rosemary said firmly.

Ches came out of the byre, then, scowling to see the ruffian standing beside Rosemary. 'What's he doing here?' he grunted.

Rose flashed him a bright smile. 'One-Hand escorted me through the woods to make sure I wouldn't be bothered by roving ruffians,' she said in her cheeriest tone. Then, turning to the Man, she said politely, 'Thank you so much. I'll be fine now.'

The ruffian bowed elaborately, nodded ironically to the hostile hobbit, and melted into the woods.

Rosemary crossed to the house, meeting Ches at the door. He opened the door for her, gestured her inside, and once the door was closed, broke into a broad grin.

'I didn't think you knew what you were doing, bringing a ruffian to our doorstep,' he said.

'They'll give this place a wide berth for the time being,' Rose answered. 'One-Hand will spread the news to the others that there's sickness here.' She looked past the welcoming family. 'Where is he?'

Violet, wife of Ches, stepped forward, gesturing to one of the bedrooms off the main room. As Rosemary followed, she said, 'I'm so ashamed... we thought you were in league with the ruffians, and all this time...'

'It's all right,' Rosemary said. 'Hopefully the ruffians still think we're in league with them. If you neighbors will keep your hostile attitudes in place, for our sake, they are more likely to continue to trust us.' She was brought up short by the sight of her brother on the bed. His wrists were bandaged, but she could clearly see the livid purpling in the swelling about his neck, and the raw red mark of the rope.

Going to her knees by the bed, she breathed, 'Ferdi...'

He opened his eyes and smiled at her, croaking her name in the barest whisper. 'Don't try to talk,' Violet said gently. She turned to Rosemary. 'I do not think the damage was lasting,' she said, 'but his throat will be very sore for some days, and he will have trouble talking and swallowing.'

Rosemary attempted to smile. 'Imagine that, my brother, not talking my ear off, for a change.'

No ruffians were seen in the week that Rosemary helped to nurse her brother to the point that he was back on his feet, ready to return to Tookland. On the day he was ready to depart, Ches drove off in his waggon, coming back with an elderly hobbit, well-wrapped up in a cloak, scarf wrapped about his neck against the autumnal chill.

He helped this elderly relative from the waggon, escorted him to the house where he was warmly greeted by Violet and the little hobbits. The old hobbit stopped just short of the house, leaning upon his heavy stick to say, 'Are ye sure that ailment is well gone?'

'Well gone!' Violet laughed. 'It went through the entire family, Uncle Oak, but we've been clear since yesterday.'

'All right, then,' the old hobbit said, and consented to be escorted through the door. After he'd enjoyed his tea, he emerged again, as any watching ruffian might have seen, to be helped into the wagon and driven away.

Inside the dwelling, safe from spying eyes, Uncle Oak sat still in the rocker by the fire. 'Is he well away?' he quavered.

'Well away,' Violet said.

'What'll I do for a stick, then, since he's taken mine?' the old uncle asked. 'Not that I begrudge it to him, of course. The Fox can have as many of my sticks as he cares to fetch away.'

'My Hally's already carving you another,' Rosemary said. 'Ches'll fetch it back in a bundle of firewood when he escorts me home.'

And so he had. Rosemary sipped the last of her tea and saw her brother stir as the mouth-watering smell of baking bread wafted through the rooms. She arose before he opened his eyes, not wanting him to accuse her of being a "mother hen" as he so often did, and went to get the rest of the breakfast ready.

***

Hally invited Ferdi to go hunting with him. 'You don't have to shoot,' he said, 'but bring a bow along just for the company.' He filled Ferdi's quiver with arrows, and the two set out, Hally calling back, 'We'll be back in time for tea!'

They tramped through the woods, and Hally brought down several conies and a startled pheasant. He patted the game bag with satisfaction. 'We'll make a fine stew,' he said, 'what with the new potatoes and carrots from the garden.' Taking out his knife, he made a mark on the tree. 'Now,' he said. 'Let's see you shoot.'

Ferdi tried to demur, but Hally stood fast. 'I want to see just what the trouble is.'

Ferdi eyed the mark, fitted an arrow to his bow, began to draw back the string, then grimaced.

'Hurts?' Hally said. 'Where?'

'Deep in the bone,' Ferdi said reluctantly, rubbing the spot. 'A kind of ache. Almost feels as if it's about to buckle.'

'Ah,' Hally said. 'Try again for me.' This time he put both of his sturdy hands around Ferdi's forearm, gripping strongly, steadying the arm as Ferdi pulled back the string with the other hand. Ferdi was able to pull back all the way and release the arrow in the general direction of the target.

'Was that better?' Hally asked. Ferdi nodded. 'So all you need's another bone,' Hally said quietly. 'Something a bit stronger than what's inside the arm.'

'Another bone,' Ferdi chuckled. 'Now how am I to manage that?'

Hally took his pipe from his pocket, filled it, and sat down to smoke and think. 'I've an idea,' he said. 'Take a load off your feet a minute. We'll walk back after I've had my think.'

Ferdi waited in silence while the other thought. He was used to this, from Hally, who often carved wondrous creations after one of his "thinks". The other, however, said nothing when he finished his pipe, only rose from his feet to say, 'Well, let's go. If we leave now we won't have to walk in a hurry to be back for tea.'

A week later, Hally's brother came to tea. 'Gundabar! Welcome!' Rosemary cried. 'What brings you here?'

'Hally invited me,' Gundabar said. 'Dropped off a waggonload of firewood and told me you'd be making seedcake for tea this day.'

'So that's why you asked me to make seedcake,' Rose said to her husband. 'I thought it a funny thing, you never touch the stuff.'

'Hullo, Ferdi,' Gundabar said. 'Fancy finding you outside of Tookland these days. Thought you were glued to the Smials, from what Hally said.'

'Glue wore off,' Ferdibrand answered, and the other snorted.

'Tea's not quite ready, yet,' Rosemary said.

'That's fine,' her husband answered. 'We've got somewhat to do before then.' He eyed the little hobbits who'd gathered to greet their uncle. 'Off with ye, now! You all have tasks to finish before you can wash up for tea!' The little hobbits scattered obediently.

'Come along, Ferdi,' Hally said, and the three went into the house. Hally took down a bow, strung it, handed it to Ferdi. 'Draw it as best you can,' he said, 'but do not fire it dry.'

'I know better than that,' Ferdi answered. Hally steadied the bow arm as Ferdi drew back on the string; Gundabar watched closely, nodding to himself.

He stepped up, to place his hands around Ferdi's arm. 'Pull just a bit more,' he said, and Ferdi complied, gritting his teeth. 'Right, then,' Gundabar said. 'Ease off, now.'

Digging in the sack he brought in, he said, 'You had the right idea, Hally. I do not know if this will fit properly, but we can adjust it, I think.' He brought out a piece of leather, stiffened with ribbing of some sort, Ferdi could tell when the other extended it to him for examination.

'Hold out your arm,' Gundabar said, and proceeded to fit the leather around Ferdi's forearm. He pulled up some straps to secure the brace, then moved it slightly on the arm. With a grimace, he removed the brace again. 'I want a bit of cloth,' he said. 'It's stiff enough to chafe, we'll want to glue a bit of padding to the leather on the inside.'

When the brace was fitted and adjusted, the three went outside again. Hally made a mark on a tree at the edge of the glade, and they took turns shooting. Ferdi found that the brace supported his arm, allowing him to shoot with much less pain, to concentrate on aiming and shooting without distraction. 'That's prime, Gundy!' he said. 'I haven't been able to shoot in months!'

'Well now you can,' Gundabar grunted. 'About time,' he said. 'You've not much time if you're to be shooting in Tuckborough next month.'

'The tournament?' Ferdi said. 'You jest.'

'Of course not,' Gundabar said, insulted. 'Naught's wrong with your eye, and that's more than half what makes the archer. And now, naught much is wrong with your arm, thanks to my help.' He thumped his chest. 'I think you could open a few eyes at the tournament, this year, or I'm not a Bolger.'

'Last I heard, you were left on the doorstep,' Ferdi said acidly.

'Naw, that was Hally,' Gundabar said placidly. 'I'm a Bolger, all right. Hally, now...' he fended off his brother's mock scowl.

'Do you think we could all come to Tuckborough?' Rosemary asked, to be echoed by a chorus of eager young hobbits.

Hally's scowl turned to a grin. 'I don't see why not...' he said. 'It's always a pleasure to see those cock-sure Tooks taken down a peg or two.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List